Chalk Numbers

Larry Hayward

Question

3 answers to this question

1950 Regulations make no reference to such markings. The first reference I can find is in 1959 Regulations for the transport of vehicles by sea or air. The serial to be painted in a prominent position on the near side, straight on the vehicle presumably. Units that had an airportable role (ie would be regularly transporting vehicles by air) had a matt black area 9.5 in high x 8.5 in wide painted on. This is repeated in 1969 Regulations.

I think this was just for the serial no or the chalk number in the case of the matt rectangle. I have studied a large number of photos of airportable & airdropable vehicles of the Para Sqn RAC of the 1960s. Initially these were Deep Bronze Green there was a patch that appeared on each side of the lockers in matt black. On only one photo has it actually been written on in chalk, this was a FV162O being loaded marked "CHALK 3".

Axle weights were not marked in 1960s, the first written requirement I can find is in 1975 Regulations where the black area became a 10 in square that now includes CHALK NO, RAW, FAW & AUW.

Thanks Clive.

Presumably the use of the black square must has gone too, as some photos I have seen show the marking in black on the Nato Green background.

BTW the earliest photo I have just found of CHALK, RAW, FAW & AUW on a black square is on a Wobat equipped Lightweight of the Royal Marines on page 74 of Mark Cook's 'The Half-Ton Military Land Rover'. The photo is said to date from 1969.

It is years since I have seen an in service Rover with the black patch. But maybe I don't come across airportable vehicles. These days it would be defined in the Joint Service Road Transport Regulations JSP 341 the last amendment I've got is in 1990 when it was still applicable.

To my mind real Rovers were the 2A era, now its plastic rear lights, single windscreen, plastic dash, no bumberettes, no bridge discs etc. Although I enjoy the power, speed & economy of my Wolf, its not so fun as a something like a 2A.