Volvo Museum

I visited the Volvo Museum in Gothenborg, Sweden, last weekend - see http://www.volvomuseum.com

Very interesting to see the various cars, trucks, aircraft engines and marine engines built by the Volvo Group of companies. Not a lot of HMV´s on display, but worth a visit for the petrol heads among us if you are in the vicinity!

HTH,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

First the aircraft. Both the Saab Draken and Viggen were fitted with Volvo Aero engines. Both airframes are sectioned, as well as the engines inside them. Makes for an interesting view for the technically inclined. Camouflage is the stunning M90 scheme.

P1070005_resized.jpg

P1070048_resized.jpg

P1070053_resized.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Not directly related to the museum, but these days the C303 - or Tgb 11 in Swedish Army speak - is highly sought after for their portal axles. Offroaders strip the axles from the Tgb 11 and what remains is sold as a garden shed or scrapped. . .

Again, note that stunning M90 camouflage scheme!

C303 axle-less.jpg

Edited by mcspool

The Saab Viggen, on e of the best looking aircraft in my opinion.
Agree. Their Gripen is clearly "the son of".

Amazing how a relatively small country was - and still is - able to develop their own innovative fighter aircraft. Engines were licence-produced Pratt & Whitney JT8D´s modified with an afterburner and reverse thrust, known as the RM 8B Volvo Flygmotor.

Sweden´s "relationship" with P&W started during WW2, when the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp was copied from a downed airplane. Only after the war this was settled under a licence agreement with P&W. Or so the display board said with this engine. . .

H.

P1070011_resized.jpg

Hi there Hanno!

I'm not sure if you're aware of the war between Sweden and Norway? Just like any neighbouring countries there's always a little war going on. This is why I have to ask why the h**l you went to Gothenburg, when you could have gone to Oslo? In Oslo you could have visited both the Defence museum and the Plane collection at Gardermoen!

In Gothenburg, or close nearby you have an underground hangar built in the early 40s, which is supposed to be really impressive. Did you go there? I haven't been there myself yet.

Anyway Sweden is almost as great place as Norway! We lack the great neighbours that they have... :-)

Marty

why the h**l you went to Gothenburg, when you could have gone to Oslo? In Oslo you could have visited both the Defence museum and the Plane collection at Gardermoen!

In Gothenburg, or close nearby you have an underground hangar built in the early 40s, which is supposed to be really impressive. Did you go there? I haven't been there myself yet.

Hi Marty,

Simple enough, friends of mine moved to Sweden last year and we went to pay them a visit. Other than the Volvo museum we did not visit any military-related sites.

I have other friends who moved to Olso recently. When they have settled in I'll make sure to come over and visit you too!

Hanno

Pictures of a Volvo heavy recovery truck (don´t know the exact type). The wide scuttle is typical for Volvo trucks of the era. Wrecker set is a Holmes one.

In use with the Swedish Army from 1941-1951.

P1070083_resized.jpg

P1070082_resized.jpg

Edited by mcspool

• 4 months later...
Not directly related to the museum, but these days the C303 - or Tgb 11 in Swedish Army speak - is highly sought after for their portal axles. Offroaders strip the axles from the Tgb 11 and what remains is sold as a garden shed or scrapped. . .

Thankfully the one that donated its axles to my Landy was well beyond saving :-X although we do know people looking for bits from the top half, if anyone knows of a surplus one going for scrap I'm sure a home could be found.

They are awesomely capable trucks, if I was doing it again I'd just buy a C303/4/6 rather than modify a Land Rover.