W+P my letter to them. (Are you going to the 2010 Show Poll)

rambo1969

Are you going to the 2010 W&P Show  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to the 2010 W&P Show

• Yes, as an Exhibitor (MV & Living History or friend of...)
    • Yes, as Paying Public (inc public camping)
    • Yes, As a trader
    • No, I don't like the facilities
    • No, Too far to travel
    • No, No particular reason
    • No, because I won't Pay as an Exhibitor
    • Never been, will try it one day
    • Never Been, No opinion

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys but I just don't get it. If you don't like then don't go. Don't moan about and then still go?!

I think the point should be made that those of us who run a business or two know full well that it really isn't that straight forward - if it was then everyone would do it. There are so so many hidden costs in running a business that many folks wouldn't know about. I cry every time I sit down with my people and look at ours.

You also have to take into account the taxes due on the profits made. I am pretty sure the team know what their break even point is but I think it is pretty unrealistic to even attempt to guess it!

But would you want the W&P to be scratched from the calender???? For me it doesn't matter as it isn't my sort of show.

Edited by Jack

Indeed, a profit made is nice, & not begrudged by all, if FAIR. All the outgoing expenses are catered & planned for. The profit is absolutely HUGE! So, in that case, WHY, if after all the points I have made as an exhibitor, should I also have to bear the brunt of PAYING along with most other people to provide an exhibit to make a show?

so WHY should the exhibitors have to contribute, when basically, it is THEM that makes the show!

But YOU do not have to go! Think about it...you go because you like it. we all do, buy, listen, read, wear and eat things simply, because of the FEELING it gives us. Think about it and analise it and it all makes sense.

<snipped>

But would you want the W&P to be scratched from the calender???? For me it doesn't matter as it isn't my sort of show.

Just because you went with hair and returned hairless - that's no reason to dislike the show oh Fearless Leader! If you could fix the lack of electrons and fuel in the GMC and bring it along you'd have a (bigger) laugh too!! Esp. if I chase you around the arena in the OT..... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But YOU do not have to go! Think about it...you go because you like it. we all do, buy, listen, read, wear and eat things simply, because of the FEELING it gives us. Think about it and analise it and it all makes sense.

Much as I hate admitting it - the (once) hairless one has a point here. Lets be honest - owning many tons of armour or 60+ year old vehicles or a combination of anything in between isn't exactly the most logical of hobbies..... Why, then, expect logic to be applied as regards exhibitors and payment??

That said - and leaving aside the issue of why you have to pay to exhibit to make the organisers more money - provision of adequate WC and washing facilities for both sexes MUST be a given, irrespective of arguments about how whether we ought to pay or not, if only for health and safety reasons. It will be interesting to see if these points have indeed been taken aboard come next July.

Some very interesting points raised.....

I can understand the 'if you don't like it, do go' opinion, however, the reason I go to w+p is that there is not another show as big, where I can spend a week there.

I for one can understand how hard it is organising a mv show, ive seen ian and lee running around like headless chicken's at the bunker bash! :-D

But, w+p has been going for 27 years, they should have it down to a fine art by now. Lee has said he has extra toilets and showers at next years bunker bash, if he can do it, why not w+p? The toilets at the bunker bash have ALWAYS been excellent.

You will see in my letter to w+p, I told them about the toilets at the entrance, 3 mens sit down loo's, 1 had the door missing and 1 had a lock missing, surely the hop farm have an 'on site diy/handy man', these toilets should have been fixed as soon as I reported them, and yet they were broke for the whole duration of the show.

The IMPS put on a new show this year and the toilets were excellent.

It's almost as if w+p are saying 'sod you lot, you will still come back!'.

At the moment, the pro's just about outwiegh the con's at w+p.

When I win the lottery, I am going to put on the biggest and best mv show ever!!:-D

I think one of the problems with W&P is that it's got TOO big. It went from an informal show to a business in it's own right. Anything that turns into a business is then run for as much profit as possible, which means going down the cheapest route for services as possible to keep profit margins high.

I suppose though if another show was set up to rival W&P, it too would turn into a business and then you would probably have the same pro's and con's there as you do at the W&P event.

It would be nice to have some more events up this neck of the woods though. The South Coast and Kent in particular seem to have more than their fair share.

It would be nice to have some more events up this neck of the woods though. The South Coast and Kent in particular seem to have more than their fair share.

Agreed. Berkshire & Oxfordshire do seem a bit sparse for decent MV events. Woodcote Steam & Vintage in July is about all there is locally.

Considering you are the owner of HMVF, its the biggest MV event in Europe , and the comment "For me it doesn't matter as it isn't my sort of show" I find baffling. Surely being an enthusiast it would be the ultimate event?

So he can't have an opinion outside of HMVF... I find it baffling that just because of his involvement with HMVF Jack should like W&P :confused: I would think W&P is not the ultimate show for a great many Enthusiasts..

No, no, no. Dont get me wrong, I would have thought that W&P would be the perfect vehicle for Jack and HMVF to promote the cause and enjoy. After all W&P is primarily concerned with MV's, allbeit re-enactors as well. I thought the two would go hand in hand. I was a bit surprised it wasnt Jacks cuppa tea.

Considering you are the owner of HMVF, its the biggest MV event in Europe , and the comment "For me it doesn't matter as it isn't my sort of show" I find baffling. Surely being an enthusiast it would be the ultimate event?

Bit narrow minded Rick! Makes no difference if I own HMVF or not. I have never been much of a fan of static shows. This isn't just because I don't like sitting in a field for week. I was always like that when I used to be on the rural skills circuit attending all the big county/country shows.

......perhaps this is why I am going to all of the effort of putting on Armour & Embarkation - perhaps I adore these sorts of moving events?!!!!!

Just because I own HMVF doesn't mean I should be expect to like all things military?! W&P isn't all about mv's - if you took a holistic viewpoint you would know this. I have never really promoted HMVF purely because for me it is about quality NOT quantity.

The reason I like W&P is because I get to hang with my chums I have made on HMVF.

I'm not having a go Jack. Dont get me wrong. You have kind of answered my question as to why you prefer the moving events, rather than the static ones. I can understand that, and hats off to you for organising A&E. I think the main reason about people attending W&P is because we can mix meet with friends and show off vehicles from all over Europe.

On principal I wont go to an event if I have to pay to exhibit. As far as I am concerned if the public are paying to see stuff, why should exhibitors also pay to display it?

But what if it was a closed event, without public entry? I would be more inclined to pay for something like that to contribute to event expenses. If, as Jack says, the best bit is the atmosphere without the public, is the purpose of the public just to fund our get togethers?

We had a recent get together at John Marchants farm with friends and family invited. Didnt cost a penny and we got to play silly beggars with our vehicles in one of the fields. Even the beer and food was provided for.Thats the ideal in my books.

The best part of W&P is the party atmosphere you get after the public have gone and when Lee's Place is opens for business.

Its taken a lot of effort to type this but I'll have to agree with Jack on this :shake:

Edited by Jack

So is anyone who is dis-chuffed enough prepared to start the ball rolling and state they are not going next year? Merely an academic q? on my part. ( Or am I just stirring it :evil::evil: ?)

No it is a good question.