WW1 truck lamps

Great War truck

• 1 month later...

Lamp1.jpg

In the front row in the middle are a pair of unknown make but with the gas generator integral.

Hello Major-General,

moz-screenshot.pngI noticed your mail over the weekend and the headlights that are in your photo are Lucas Lorilite's. ( lorry light!)

I have attached a photo of one that I have in the garage. It is in excellent condition inside and out and I was going to use it on my 1902 steam car as the central light but it is a bit heavy.

Have you managed to find any?

Lucas Lorilite.jpg

Being marked RAF puts a date as after 1918, however now the questions evolve as to its use when electric lighting for vehicles was becoming more the norm. Was it a hand lamp for security or similar rather than a vehicle lamp?

Doug

I'm not sure electric lighting on heavier vehicles was becoming more the norm in the early 1920s. There are plenty of instances where lights, especially tail lights, were blown out while driving resulting in no rear lights at all right up to the late 1920s. It's possible new lorries were fitted with electric lighting at extra cost but many built/refurbed up to the mid-20s were ex-WD. If they were for the RAF, ten they would have been for 'old stock' lorries, which would have lasted many years on lighter duties or as reserve. With the government struggling with war debt, much cheaper to replace oil lamps than electrify.

• 2 weeks later...

Ref. reply no. 9, Lucas made 2 series of side lamps for commercial vehicles 1906/30s. For light vehicles there were the 720 series for spade mounting and with an option of finishes denoted by the last number ( e.g. 724 was all brass) . The heavier pattern, although the same external dimensions were of heavier gauge material and with fork mounting and came as 720DS and 722DS only, both black japanned with option of brass or plates parts ( e.g. chimney top & bezel etc.). An identical numbering system was used for the larger version, being 740DS & 742DS, these were often used as scuttle mounted and without headlights. All are handed ,this being the side of the opening door hinge and catch and wick adjuster. The 1931 catalogue price for 742DS with brass parts is £4.7s.6d per pair. I have never seen any of these actually stamped WD. As early as 1910 you could have an option of electrical attachment which screwed into the tell-tail eye in the back of the lamp hence making it dual, the bulb being almost mushroom like. By the mid 1920s many were fitted from new as this. The tail lamp which went with all of these is the 430 series, the 432 being japanned with brass parts. Miller certainly produced many acetylene headlamps ( not self contained) in 1924 all marked WD on the top. Motor Traction, December 1909 has extensive articles on lamps for 'Industrail Vehicles'.

Richard Peskett.

We picked up this Lucas 742 at Beaulieu a few years ago. It has the electric conversion socket screwed in the back and also WD stamped in it. It is intended that it will find a home on the Thornycroft eventually.

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39512[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39514[/ATTACH]

steve are you looking for another one i have the matching one ie the hinge on the other side but it has a small red lens not the electric socket send me a message if your interested andy

Ref. post no. 33, You never stop learning in this game ! , I have now seen a Lucas 742 with WD stamped on it. The only thing is I think the front is from a lamp of the opposite hand as the bent flange at the top should be at the bottom and goes into a slot in the reservoir casing. These lamps with electric fittings were still being sold well into the 1930s as Maidstone Corporation had some double deck Crossley buses with them fitted new in 1933/4.

Richard Peskett.

You are right about the learning in this game, Richard. I hadn't spotted the reversed front door but it is obvious now! Mind you, there is no slot in the base to accept it so perhaps it came from a different lamp altogether. I will have to look more closely at another one although that might be a job for another day. I think we have our work cut out getting the Dennis ready for the time being!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have been looking for a set of lights for the 1916 Albion ever since I first got the old girl 40 years ago.I picked up these self generating Acetylene lights the other day. I rekon they will do just fine.

Does anyone know anything about the company who produced them, A-L in a 6 pointed star?

Now I have to make the light holders to suit.

Regards Rick

IMG_0512a.JPG

IMG_0516a.JPG

IMG_0519a.JPG

IMG_0524a.JPG

IMG_0514a.JPG

Allen-Liversidge were certainly major manufacturers of acetylene lighting for industrial and commercial use in the 1910/30 period including lighting for miners, factories, houses etc. I think I have only seen lamps for commercial vehicles and usually cast aluminium construction. There may be a family connection with Liversidge coachbuilders ( later Glover,Webb & Liversidge) of the Old Kent Road, London, they certainly built truck bodies for the 'A-L' organisation. Photograph herewith of a c.1920 Ford model 'T' .

Liversidge T Ford.jpg

Richard Peskett.

Allen-Liversidge were certainly major manufacturers of acetylene lighting for industrial and commercial use in the 1910/30 period including lighting for miners, factories, houses etc. I think I have only seen lamps for commercial vehicles and usually cast aluminium construction.

Richard Peskett.

Hi Richard,

I have a feeling the company became part of British Oxygen at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...
Last photo from WWI Napier's,

image0002g.jpg

I've posted this on my Napier thread as well; would anyone recognise the make and model of headlight fitted to the front of the Napier in Portugal's photo?

I'm loving this thread by the way, very educational!

Acetylene lamps : generally either self contained ( as Ricks A - Ls are) or with a separate generator which would feed both or more lamps. ( tail lamps do exist but very unusual except on smaller motor cycle sets). Basic ingredients are calcium carbide and water ; the carbide is usually in the lower half and water is released onto it via an adjustable needle valve, this produces actelyne gas, within the lamp there is normally a fish-tail burner, the volume of which is measured in litres ( of gas burnt per hour). The calcium carbide is a gravel/aggregate like white/grey/black substance that once coming into contact with water turns to a whitish powder. The containers will have rubber seals and once the gas has started to be made and used the pressure self regulates the supply of water. An alternate system which is visible on the A - L Ford model 'T' picture is the cylinder of acetylene gas on the running board. More common in the USA one of the major producers sold under the 'Prestolite' name. You exchanged the cylinder when empty at your local agent. ( not very suitable for Western Front use !! ). Hope this is of help.

Richard Peskett.