WW1 truck lamps

Great War truck

This is going to be a thread for the anoraks. Sorry. No one has ever really identified all the different truck lamps used in WW1 used by the British (American trucks are easy - Adlake, Dietz or Solar) and looking through my photos i have come across many different types. I thought i would post a few photos for your thoughts. I have many more to add.

Lamp1.jpg

The ones along the back all appear to be Lucas "King of the Roads" (model 742 i think).

In the front row in the middle are a pair of unknown make but with the gas generator integral. Either side of them are some of the more common P&H or Miller headlamps.

Lamp2.jpg

Here is a Miller or P&H sidelamp.

lamp3.jpg

Another Lucas sidelamp and unknown headlamp with integral gas generator.

lamp4.jpg

Only just visible is this Miller or P&H headlamp which has been reversed. the reason for this was to offer an element of protection to the glass from flying debris.

Good to see a new tread.

Can we get the previous points on lamps from the Dennis restoration copied over?

My son Karl asks if this will also include search lights as mounted on some vehicles?

Stretching the context, but still a light!

Doug

Quote - "We have Acetylene Searchlights on our FWD and on the two Autocars instead of orthodox headlights, so they are relevant."

The single Headlamps on the FWD and the Autocars are described as "Searchlights" as they swivel on their mountings and are swivelled by physically grasping the wooden handle on the back of the lamp and aiming the lamp in the desired direction!

You and I are talking about different types of Searchlights, Doug!

Tony

The sidelight brackets shown on Tims pics appear to have supports for both sides of the lamps, is this so either hand of lamp can be used or did military lamps have dual fixing?

Here is a lamp which is most certainly a headlamp as indicated on the label.

The manufacturer is H&B and was most probably supplied just pre-war.

Does anyone know the corresponding King of the Road Lucas tail lamp to the 724 side lamp? as I am looking for a replacement.

Some interesting lamps here: http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/lamps.htm

Tom

Headlamp Rear.jpg

Headlamp Front.jpg

H&B Headlamp.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Tim,

I don't know about the lights, but the vehicles in photo 1 and 3 are WW1 Albion A10's. Any chance of more complete photos? I just love the bonnet muff.

Thanks Rick

Rick

I have sent you an E-mail.

These bonnet muffs appear quite often on new trucks. They seem to dissapear when they have been in active service for a while. They would probably make quite a cosy blanket for the driver too.

Tim

The sidelight brackets shown on Tims pics appear to have supports for both sides of the lamps, is this so either hand of lamp can be used or did military lamps have dual fixing?

Here is a lamp which is most certainly a headlamp as indicated on the label.

The manufacturer is H&B and was most probably supplied just pre-war.

Does anyone know the corresponding King of the Road Lucas tail lamp to the 724 side lamp? as I am looking for a replacement.

Tom

Taking a quick look through my photos it appears that they all had twin forks. The reason for this is probably two fold. It presents (as you suggested) a need for "handing" the lamps and will provide a much firmer grip on the lamps thereby preventing the fatigue which would be caused by a single prong.

Not sure of the corresponding KOTR tail lamp number. I will consider that further. I have several poor views of the rear lamp on the crossley and by and large they are very poor quality and all duifferent types, except for this one, which appears to be a KOTR:

Crossley21a.jpg

Lucas - "King of the Road".

The only ones that I have seen with the WD marking are Lucas, Miller and "P and H". I do have a Horn made by "H and B" which is engraved "WD". I think that this firm may have made lamps as well but not sure of that.

"H and B" = "Howes & Burley Ltd"

I have taken photos of that Rear Lamp mentioned above and Tim will post later.

Tony

Thank you. KOTR of course King of the Road!!

Have a number of KOTR lamps here to go on vehicles

Thickness here this morning on my behalf. I will allow the rest of you to add extra comments to my lack of logic!!

Doug

• 2 months later...
Rick

I have sent you an E-mail.

These bonnet muffs appear quite often on new trucks. They seem to dissapear when they have been in active service for a while. They would probably make quite a cosy blanket for the driver too.

Tim

Have you seen them on used on non-Albions before? I've got a great photograph of a line up of Albion A10's down one side of a tree lined road, all with the blankets on

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Quietly over a period of time we have been collecting up suitable lamps for our vehicles.

Miller side lamps were purchased then along came a couple of Miller tail lamps. One only is marked WD.

Last week Karl buys another lamp, this one made by P&H and carrying the markings RAF.

As per the photo it has a bolt at the back for mounting, but not attachment bracket.

Being marked RAF puts a date as after 1918, however now the questions evolve as to its use when electric lighting for vehicles was becoming more the norm. Was it a hand lamp for security or similar rather than a vehicle lamp?

Doug

Miller Lamps alt eml Oct 2010 097.jpg

Miller tail Lamp alt eml  Oct 2010 096.jpg

Lamp P&H alt eml Oct 2010 086.jpg