Leyland DAF Drops and fv432

barrynevuk

Does anyone know if the Drops vehicles being disposed of currently will leagaly and practically lift and carry a fv432?

I think our 432 weighs in at 14t, which is within the figure of 15t I have seen written that these will lift and carry. But I was wondering if this is practicle, and the weight would be down the sides of the lifting rack rather thsn spread across the base.

I have seen cvrt vehicles but their weight is considerably less than the 432!!

Barry

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Barry,

Wouldn't have thought a drops would be capable of it. Not only are you trying to lift a 432, but plus the platform, which is surely getting on a couple of tonnes. Plus you would end up with a vehicle with a high centre of gravity. Plus you would be getting close to 16foot high? Does anyone know what the Gross vehicle weight is of a drops is and its unladen weight?

Regards

Dougy

DAF DROPS: GVW 32000kg, Unladen 17000kg

Foden DROPS: GVW 32960kg, Unladen 17960kg

Could probably just do it, but I don't reckon you'd want to - imagine your pain if VOSA stopped you and confiscated both!

When laden with a flatrack and ISO container the DROPS vehicles (especially the Foden) are getting very close to maximum height; and that's with all the weight evenly spread. There must be a good reason the Army use low-loaders and HET, they didn't buy a load of kit from Oshkosh for fun...

Stone

I regularly used to transport Komatsu D57 S loading shovels on the back of a Mercedes 2421 6x4 Rolonof hook lift truck. It had a ripper on the rear of the Komatsu and as a result weighed about 14 tons... putting the gross weight of the Merc about 3 tons over the maxim :nono:.

But it coped admirably, albeit with a high centre of gravity. I would not have trusted any of my drivers with it, though!

I was a DROPS OP with 1 and 7 Squadrons RLC. If anyone went to the Bletchley Park show back in 2001, can you remember the DROPS there with the Wolf 90 on the back, well that was mine. I was representing 7 Squadron RLC at the show!!

The load capacity of a MMLC Drops is 15t and all up weight is 32 tonnes. With the King Trailer it's GTW is 55 tonnes.

I've had all sorts on the back in my time including containers, JCB410M, Land Rovers etc. If the weight of the 432 is 14 tonnes then you will be slightly overweight. I can't remember exactly what a flat rack weighs but it's over a ton (I'm pretty sure it's 1.6 tonnes). I think I've still got my training and information manual from the Army somewhere. The LHS will trip out if you are tying to lift too much weight if I remember rightly.

When I carried the JCB410M you certainly noticed the centre of gravity. There are specific instructions on load restraint for different types of equipment. These must be followed for the safe lift of the equipment. A JCB410M on a flat rack at full tilt is pretty intimidating.

They are a good bit of kit, when they work. I remember we had quite a few problems with the LHS, mainly the valve banks. You can operate the system via the valve banks as a back up.

Edited by LoggyDriver

That is a cool pic, now I know it can be done, legally, seeing as it seems to be an in-service truck, looking like it's being loaded by a genuine squaddie,....hmmmm, next thing is where am I gonna get me a Foden DROPS, and how much?......I've already got somewhere to put it....

• 3 weeks later...