Operation Pluto

fesm_ndt

From here http://www.combinedops.com/pluto.htm I find I was nearly correct, not road locomotives but ploughing engines with modified clip drums.

"It appears that a naval officer charged with the task of getting the pipelines across the Channel was having difficulties getting the pipes ashore. The officer recalled a boyhood memory of watching two steam powered ploughing engines at work. A phone call to the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries resulted in six (sic) engines being allocated to the PLUTO project. It appears that two engines went to the IoW... one each to Sandown and Thorpes Bay, one to Lepe at the entrance to Beaulieu River on the mainland opposite Cowes, one to the PLUTO training exercise area at Hengistbury Head near Bournemouth and one to France which was given the name STEVE - a Fowler class BB1 with works No 15220, built in 1918. The engine's modified hauling drum exerted a 14-ton pull to bring the pipes ashore."

• 10 months later...
i think i remember seeing a old picture of one of the pumping houses disquised as an old ice cream parlour on the coast not 100% sure :-\

You owe me a pint in the clubhouse bar for proving you right!!! :cool2:

Amazing footage here: