Old Cannon?

hezekiah

Hi.

Can anyone solve the mystery of this object.

It stands in the grounds of an old large house that was demolished in the 1970’s. All the locals refer to it as the old cannon.

Is it a cannon that’s been converted into a bird bath, sundial or just an old quality garden ornament?

Thanks

Phil

Cannon.jpg

Been round and showed my dad your pic mate , he is pretty sure its not a cannon , he reckons its not tapered enough, thinks it might also be an old vent shaft (chimney) there is something a bit similar albeit not cut down near fairhaven if i remember rightly, he also thought it looked like a victorian street lamp and a post for holding the old tram cables ! ... Check the pics of two of his , see how they taper mate....hope this helps :coffee:

cannon 001.jpg

cannon 002.jpg

Here you go mate , the towers Cleveleys , it was a boarding and day school for girls to 18, and preparatory and kindergarten for boys to 12:coffee:

Thanks for the picture.I hav'nt actually been there for 30 years.Going for a look tomorrow.I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Phil