Mystery Object No.124

fv1609

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To display position of incoming aircraft? I note azimuth, elevation, range and alarm on the console display.

Well noted but nope not aircraft.

Going off air for a few hours, the needle gun beckons!

Edited by fv1609

OK, second guess noting same titles on the display, it is for gun laying........perhaps :confused:

Nope, nothing to do with bullets, shells, mortars, rockets, etc. or any form of ordnance.

The purpose of this equipment is quite straight forward & is not some unheard of system or purpose that never saw the light of day.

Is it for measuring the angle from a reference vector in a reference plane to a second vector in the same plane pointing towards something of interest??:sweat: ie height of a mountain, angle of sun etc

glad you know what your talking about :-D:-D:-D

Is it for measuring the angle from a reference vector in a reference plane to a second vector in the same plane pointing towards something of interest??:sweat: ie height of a mountain, angle of sun etc

No vectors were harmed in the operation of this equipment. Ingenious, but nope.

Hmmmm. It is perimeter protection, it is locating something, it measures bearing and elevation, Image looks to be late Sixties/early seventies

It doesn't track/indicate incoming fire or movement of any kind on the ground. Lines would appear to indicate getting close, closer, on for range and then (at the top) too damned close for comfort.

Perhaps aircraft/drone tracking.

Hmmmm. It is perimeter protection, it is locating something, it measures bearing and elevation, Image looks to be late Sixties/early seventies
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

It doesn't track/indicate incoming fire
Correct

It doesn't track/indicate..... movement of any kind on the ground.
Incorrect

Lines would appear to indicate getting close, closer, on for range and then (at the top) too damned close for comfort.
Correct, although nearest is at the bottom of the scale

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtistsRifles

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Oh goodie - got those bits right at least!!! :)

Quote:

It doesn't track/indicate incoming fire

Correct

Quote:

It doesn't track/indicate..... movement of any kind on the ground.

Incorrect

Hmm - you did say it doesn't track movement sounds like footsteps, breathing , heart rate etc. You also told Lee it wasn't a heat or vibration sensor. It measures bearing AND elevation yet has nothing to do with projectiles. I can't see why elevation would be of interest to ground movements.....

Quote:

Lines would appear to indicate getting close, closer, on for range and then (at the top) too damned close for comfort.

Correct, although nearest is at the bottom of the scale

Odd - usually a response system has a quicker indication the nearer something is... I assume the 3250 is the range the device is currently set at and that the range can vary from 2500 to 2500 - I assume metres??

Is the box unit all there is or is there some form of antenna or sensor array that plugs into it??

Quote:

Nope

Only other thing that spring to mind that requires protection against, moves and climbs is a sniper???

you did say it doesn't track movement sounds like footsteps, breathing , heart rate etc.

Correct but I didn't say it didn't track movement.

You also told Lee it wasn't a heat or vibration sensor.
Correct

It measures bearing AND elevation yet has nothing to do with projectiles. I can't see why elevation would be of interest to ground movements.....
Well it might do in assessing the size of something, knowing how tall & wide it was.

Odd - usually a response system has a quicker indication the nearer something is... I assume the 3250 is the range the device is currently set at and that the range can vary from 2500 to 2500 - I assume metres??
Yes it is in metres & the range can be adjusted in bands from 10,000m to 50m with a resolution of 25m. As you can see the greater distance is at the top & as someone pointed out earlier the position of the parrallel pair of lines corresponds to the reading on the counter at the top.

is there some form of antenna or sensor array that plugs into it??
Yes

Only other thing that spring to mind that requires protection against, moves and climbs is a sniper???
Yes, but why just a sniper?:)

Doppler radar?

Radar - yes, Doppler - probably. In the sense that it displays the distance of an object that has movement, but does not measure the speed with which it moves. That is done by moving the double lines over the intermittent lines which are contacts that have movement & the operator assessing the speed with which the line moves down the screen towards you.

Lee was onto things with perimeter security & so nearly there when he mentioned "Doppler counter" but I tried to press him on what he meant by that. Because Doppler shift can demonstrated & even measured on audio frequencies not just microwaves. I didn't rule out Doppler as a principle but just indicated it was not for measuring velocity, unlike the hostile fire & mortar locating radars.

As a 2kW X-band radar it will detect a whole range of items it is pointed at, there are algorims within the system that only evaluate & display something that has moved. I am not clear from the from the manufacturer's description whether this is actually based on Doppler or that the fact that the radar detects something that has changed in the split second from the previous scan.

This system is not exclusive to movements away or towards you. It can detect a tree blowing in a wind or a man who is in a fixed position but identified as he moves to stand up. His movement geographically is determined by seperation where his dotted line is on the display.