What's available for under £2,000?

Smiler

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum although I have always been into WW2 and had slightly more than a passing interest in old trucks. It's just an interest I never pursued to any great lengths as I always assumed such things were the toys of the wealthier than I.

However, after getting bored of old cars and idly trawling through fleabay I came across a couple of old british ex-army trucks that looked to be within my grasp (with a little selling and a little saving).

So, my question is, what's out there that can be found in useable condition for under £2,000?

I have so far found a couple of Commer Q4's that look pretty impressive and a rather original looking (read ratrher used looking) Morris Commercial 4x4 from the 50's.

Any help would be greatr, I'm more interested in british stuff at the moment and it doesn't have to be WW2 era so long as I can drive it on a normal car licence.

Cheers for any help,

Simon.

Thanks very much everyone for the replies, very much appreciated.

That Commer is the one I spotted and which awoke me to the possibility of being able to afford something. There's also an immaculate one on there on a classified add for £2500 with spare engine and less than 6,000 miles on the clock.

I'm guessing that, as I had suspected, anything WW2 era is going to be beyond budget. That's ok though as I am rather fond of the 50's trucks.

I've had a Landrover in the past ('65 2a 88") and although I like them it is a case of 'been there, done that'. There also not big enough. A 101 might be tempting but I'm not sure how long it would be before I started wishing I'd spent the money on a full size truck.

As for being handy with the spanners, I am more than confident at my abilities in the spanner twirling department. My bodywork skills however need a bit more practice and I'm hoping that completeing my present crop of projects will improve this.

The haflinger requires a bit too much work. Thanks for the link but I want something that although is not in show winning condition can still be used and improved upon on the way (such as that Commer).

I don't suppose a ratty but running Scammel Pioneer or Explorer would come under that budget would it? :D

Cheers,

Smiler.

Thanks very much everyone for the replies, very much appreciated.

I don't suppose a ratty but running Scammel Pioneer or Explorer would come under that budget would it? :D

Cheers,

Smiler.

My wife bought an Explorer for £2000 four years ago and we had it running and driving within 3 days. But you would have to look very hard to find another one

Yep, that's the other one I mentioned. :)

My wife bought an Explorer for £2000 four years ago and we had it running and driving within 3 days. But you would have to look very hard to find another one

Ooh, that sounds like a dream come true. I'd be suprised if another could be found though.

I also found an AEC Matador on fleabay in need of a lot of work sitting at £400. Looked like a bit too much to take on though and still had a few days to go so might well have sky-rocketed since.

I suppose I could always fix up the old VW Campervan and give it Wehrmacht markings.

Smiler, whatever you get, try and keep it authentic and in period for its age. You should be able to find something in that price range, WW2 stuff is generally alot more money, the last decade has seen that periods stuff just go up and up, as with most vehicle related pastimes the speculators moved in and drove prices through the roof.

Postwar 50's trucks can be had very cheaply, apparently the lack of a WW2 history makes them less desirable, even though the development and materials used in the construction is way beyond that of WW2 vehicles.

And we were involved in a number of bust ups since, Suez, Malaya, Aden, Northern Ireland the Falklands, the cold war and the BAOR in Germany, so there is no shortage of history if thats your thing.

So for the MV enthusiast there is a heap of interesting mechanical marvels still available at reasonable prices, you just need to keep your ear to the ground.

Here is a rough list of what you could look out for:

Landrovers

Bedford RL

Commer Q4

Austin K9

Humber 1 ton Truck/Pig variants

Bedford MJ/MK

Morris MRA1

Austin Champ

Austin Gipsy

Green Goddess

If you fancy a really big challenge!

Martian

Militant

Scammell Explorer (Croc is living proof!)

And thats just the British stuff, there is a load of European and Russian kit on the market as well, so its all out there.

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Smiler, whatever you get, try and keep it authentic and in period for its age.

And we were involved in a number of bust ups since,

Morris MRA1

Adam,

Not forgetting our participation in Korea. I have seen photos of Morris MRA1 trucks with Allied star on the door. Can you imagine "those that do not know" challenging you, if you turned up at a show with one marked like that !

I have had no end of people come up to my Bedford QL and said that the American never used them, just because it has an Allied star on the side. Have now removed it, so it is pre-D Day finish :-D

I suppose I could always fix up the old VW Campervan and give it Wehrmacht markings.

Hi Simon, welcome here.

Seriously, there is a host of civilian vehicles which were acquired by the armed forces. They were mostly militarised to some extent, but often no more than olive drab paint, some rifle and first aid kit. Volkswagens are still supplied in large numbers to the military, in fact, ever since the VW factory supplied the majority of it´s early post war production of Beetles to the occupation forces.

If I were you - interest in trucks and living in the UK - I would go for one of those 1950s British trucks. I see them popping up here in various conditions, but those ex-war reserve stock trucks look like very good value for money.

Regards,

Hanno

800px-Bundeswehrmuseum_Dresden_41.jpg

I bought my Explorer just over two years ago for £1450, plus another £150 to get it delivered. There is stuff out there if you keep looking, but think about what you want and don't just go for the first thing you see. Doing a bit of research into whatever you buy before you do the deal could save you a lot of grief with spares availability etc.

Don't bother looking for WW2 stuff, it is all over priced and made from cardboard 'cos it wasn't expected to last a month, best to stick with postwar kit that was designed to survive WW3. :evil:

Thanks for the replies, you really are proving to be a most helpfull and friendly lot.

Thanks for that list Adam, there's some pretty cool looking stuff there.

croc, I've already looked through your thread for your Scammell, very cool. I love the experienced look it has, a nice bit of patina there. I even have a local expert who could help out if I got one. He looks after the immaculately kept one at work.

Thanks again everyone, it's fired me with new enthusiasm to get on with my present crop of projects so that I can flog them and make space/raise funds for a serious toy. Should be just in time for a mid-life crisis.

Simon.

Thanks for the link, there's a few things within budget on the truck side in need of a bit of work. Deffinately worth keeping an eye on closer to the time.

Fuel costs are quite present in my mind as I'd like to use the thing as often as I can.