Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

Hi, I find it hard to believe all the work you've been doing and now say that you can't weld , I suppose most of us couldn't at one point :) ,, Its great to learn I did at an early age , arc eye very bad the next day :cry:

If you had a go on some nice clean steel I find MIG welding very good , ( gas takes to long , arc a bit heavy for thin steel ) just have to remember to keep moving the torch otherwise can blow holes , the cleaner the steel the better , we all wait in anticipation of your welding attempts :-D

Part of my trade is weld inspection (senior welding inspector) which is odd, but quite humorous when I say to a welder "I can't weld but would do a better job". On that topic, undercut is very bad and don't believe the welder when he says it's just a little bit.

My last job was working for TWI (The Welding Institute) they got some fancy gear and I was based at a welding school here in Malaysia. But never had time or more correctly I was a bit of a workaholic so never made time. Rebuilding a car, keeps me from working all weekend so I try to just do 9 to 5 now.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figured out I had the winch on back to front :red:

Fix that, bought 12m of battery cable and started routing the winch control wiring

[ATTACH]21519[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21522[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21521[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21520[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21518[/ATTACH]

And that was today....

Going in tomorrow morning to crimp the battery leas lugs as I left my new tool at home. Been trying to find a second hand crimper for ages with no luck as they are quite pricey.

I found this gadget on Ebay at a fraction of the cost so we see how good it is tomorrow.

[ATTACH]21523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21524[/ATTACH]

Well all the little rust bits have been welded up so the missus side of the car will be less drafty :yay:

Did the crimping on my winch cables and found the new tool does a perfect job.

Before:

[ATTACH]21944[/ATTACH]

After (crimps it on 3 sides):

[ATTACH]21946[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21945[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21943[/ATTACH]

I kept getting told to use a blunt cold chisel and I figured if I am rebuilding everything else why bodge the terminal connections. The hydraulic ones a a tad more expensive.

The winch don't work as possibly a seized solenoid. Something else to fix when I get back from Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

Well spent an entire day fitting 4 radiator hoses and 3 new stainless pipes :-(

Sometimes these things can be difficult as people may noticed I have not replaced the lower pipe with stainless yet...... the reason being I have to remove the front fram to replace it :wow:

couple of other minor bits done i.e. fitting new gear linkage, LHS door step and these pretty red terminal covers which I got of ebay and was lucky they are the correct size :-D

[ATTACH]22905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22904[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22903[/ATTACH]

I m guessing the original rad piping was so corroded due to the Vehicle being run with either just water in the system or very old antifreeze ? . Your making progress !

Has been a bit of a drag as with the radiator out, it's not running.

Yep just run on dirty old water. The main battle has been dealing with neglect, i.e. nails instead of split pins, reinstalled incorrectly, missing parts as too hard to put in the last screw. Lucky we have 4 in the yard as sometimes not so easy to spot unless you notice something different on another vehicle.

This is a picture of the fuse panel in 2 different vehicles. One is behind and one is half behind half in front... hard to spot, but as with most things, one way it works, one it doesn't.

[ATTACH]22929[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22928[/ATTACH]

Off to Phuket, Thailand today, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any army green stuff.

Edited by fesm_ndt

Great work on the replacement pipes , looks a nice box full of parts ,,, including what looks like some 16" 1990> G Wagen alloys ,,:-)

yep G wagen Rims............. I am still pining for the Hutchison rims I ordered but disappeared

My guess is the box should get here mid March, then I have to remove the rear body off this one >:(

which is not easy as it is supposed to be bolted together but many of the bolt holes are plug welded......................

still got to find an auto, intercooler, P93 front frame, p93 grille, military aircon, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ and more

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing done last weekend as came back from Phuket with a dose of the flu :cry:

Yesterday was a fairly big day as:

- got the radiator, front panels and brush guard all back on.

- all the engine covers are back on (although next month is timing belt change time)

- seats back in

- transmission cover back on

- fixed the aircleaner retaining straps (very annoyed as I took a photograph of the mess I started with but not the result i.e. I was well happy that I managed to fix it)

So after all that went for a spin to heat it up and look for coolant leaks, seemed ok. Did find some loose wheel nuts :-\

But do get some odd looks driving around the streets in it as it does make a peculiar whine (which is normal) when it gets going, the turbo has a distinct whistle and it's just an odd vehicle.

Still much to do but a lot of it is because I want to instead of need to.

Going to the junkyard to try to salvage this aircon and fix it.......... :cry:

The words of encoragement thus far is, " there will be lots of snakes in there" and "wow a snake palace"... Aussie and UK humour is so appropriate :-D

[ATTACH]23863[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23862[/ATTACH]

Well as the original dealer decided to change his prices, so I bought a different airconditioner unit, needing 'minor' TLC :wow:

A John E Mitchell and Co. from Dallas Texas. After Googling that I found no information on my mark IV airconditioner but I did find Mr Mitchell used one of these to invent the Slurpee machine :cheesy:

[ATTACH]24114[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24113[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24112[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24111[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

And today, oil change, nothing special, nothing hard...

yeah right.......

The oil filter would not come off. Tried the oil cooler remover tool - No. Tried the chain clamp tool - No.

Resorted to the punch a hole through it with the small screwdriver, followed by the the really big one (something I wouldn't recommend on a Pinz as the oil cooler is attached to the oild filter).

Had to really swing off the large screwdriver to get it to budge a fraction, then at to get in a different angles to keep levering it around.

A mess if ever there was one.

[ATTACH]24119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24118[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24116[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24115[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24117[/ATTACH]

Likely failure to oil the old filters threads before it was installed originally, was it due to someone way over tightening it ? Glad you were able to remove it in the end.

yeah never had that much trouble before

mind you normally I lean into the engine bay a smack the correct tool screwdriver through it from the start if it dont come off by hand

this time I was taking the professional approach (maybe because the only access was from below it :undecided:) ............ what a sucker