Mystery Object No.116

fv1609

Slightly different format this time. Although I know the designation from the plate on the item, I do not know its purpose!

There is a prize! Whoever knows what it is & what it does, probably could make best use of it & therefore deserves to win the thing. This is a collect only prize.

DSCF1437.jpg

Is it aircraft related. Powered drive to an aircraft gun turret?

It looks plausable but must be AFV related. In that it has a FV number, lots of aluminium paint & has the typical 1950s/60s designation No.1 Mk 1/1.

I suspected it might be CVR(T) related, although I got it from a couple people who had a Striker & a Sabre. But they didn't know what it was for.

DSCF1436.jpg

Something to do with wiper motor?

It certainly has that look down one end. Quite a beefy motor, but maybe it had to drive a series of wipers around vision blocks on a turret, something like that might be needed.

looks like 1/4" Lucar connector on the back. Does it switch power to some sort of beacon or signal in a regular fashion?

A bit like the turn light flasher units/ warning beaconflasher units that are driven by a modified wiper motor?

I dunno! I'm just hoping someone will see it & say "Oh yes been looking for one of those for ages" then they can have it.

I see it has an FV number on it, so a vehicle part, also painted silver so an internal fitment on an armoured vehicle...........that is as far as I have got with it. A large motor in comparison to the output drive, so doubtful is is a turret traverse motor. The Lucar is a bit odd as it is not protected, input current is through a screened harness with plug and socket. This may be because the drive end is encased and the wire from the Lucar goes to a warning lamp adjacent, maybe :confused:

I see it has an FV number on it, so a vehicle part, also painted silver so an internal fitment on an armoured vehicle...........that is as far as I have got with it. A large motor in comparison to the output drive, so doubtful is is a turret traverse motor. The Lucar is a bit odd as it is not protected, input current is through a screened harness with plug and socket. This may be because the drive end is encased and the wire from the Lucar goes to a warning lamp adjacent, maybe :confused:

The Lucar seems very down market for a device with a FV number on it. It almost looks as if it is an uncomfortable marriage between several different items.

The motor may have been scavanged from something else, to be fitted to a one off machined casting enclosing a gear reduction to then be married up with a civvy wiper gear box? Used for some experimental purpose, that none of us know about & not proceeded with or recognised, not even by CVR(T) owners or the country's leading MV restorer?

It almost looks as if it is an uncomfortable marriage between several different items.

The motor may have been scavanged from something else, to be fitted to a one off machined casting enclosing a gear reduction to then be married up with a civvy wiper gear box?

Clive,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, the drive part look very "wiper motor", the three fixing points and paxolin backing plate. A cobble up for a trials vehicle perhaps? No one has recognised the motor yet, that may give a clue.

Clive,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, the drive part look very "wiper motor", the three fixing points and paxolin backing plate. A cobble up for a trials vehicle perhaps? No one has recognised the motor yet, that may give a clue.

What you mean I have recognised my own object(s)?

But I don't want to win it, I want to just get rid of the damn thing. I was given it as it was going to be chucked away, it just seemed imoral as it must be of use to someone.

The dilemma is, that if this an uncomfortable marriage of three items (yes marriages of three are always uncomfortable, I have heard say) Then what if three different people recognise the three individual components. If I split it up, it renders it of no use to anyone! So perhaps it should go to the person with the most worthy (& sensible) application in mind?

Thanks but no thanks, It must have an application somewhere, and if it is made of three parts cobbled together, then the motor would have a genuine original application, and it seems a shame not to let someone have it who knows the original purpose, before conversion.