'C' MV

mick garner

I am biased about CMV, I am a regular contributor. There are things I don't like about it - but both CMV and MMI have to be All Things To All Men and do a brilliant job overall, They actually get mixed up by some people, but they do have VERY different styles and scope and cover a lot of ground. MMI does not claim to be for classics only. CMV leans towards them, but there are no fixed borders. I don't think anyone should get bogged down in what period defines a classic. Just enjoy it all. WW2 lasted six years and ended 60 years ago. A lot happened before it and since. But it is THE major period in MV concsiousness. I like post war continental vehicles more than anything at the moment...but moods change. As a mechanical numpty I prefer to look and not meddle with vehicles. There is no MV I would not cross the street to look at. Windscreen is brilliant and I always look forward to it. As a media professional I can assure you this mag takes a lot of work to produce and it is done without the benefit of publishers money and muscle. All power to it.W&T was great - but it became too embroiled in ultra rare vehicles that none of us can see. I never knew Bart V - but he set the standard for all to follow by a long way. But things have to adapt and no magazines can stay the same. When you don't like something tell the editor. Be objective and be positive - you pay for these mags, get what you want from them.

I note all the remarks about the magazines available to us with a military vehicle interest, and the point that if you don't like the content, send an article in. I consider that I write a decent article, and have had some, generally about the Centurion tank, published in MMI, and also a couple of show reports from the far West. For one reason or another I neither subscribe nor write for the mag now. I got the impression they weren't interested any more.

As far as CMV is concerned, as far as I can see it is a closed shop. How can I compete with their usual tank writer, who has the whole tank museum library at his disposal?

Windscreen, a club magazine, I think is acknowledged as the best serious enthusiast magazine. They are always pleased to receive material, and in my experience, it is always published, and published well, so I must be doing something right. Which reminds me, I must send something in..................