Mystery Object No.112

fv1609

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early type of Gun Directing Radar. Heat could either be the power running through, or,,, microwaves? I don't know if there was a maratime version of Golden Arrow, that's a Canadian Microwave relay system used after Normandy in WW2.

An undamped spark tramsmitter, hence the reason RO's are known as Sparkies.

Early type of Gun Directing Radar. Heat could either be the power running through, or,,, microwaves? I don't know if there was a maratime version of Golden Arrow, that's a Canadian Microwave relay system used after Normandy in WW2.

An undamped spark tramsmitter, hence the reason RO's are known as Sparkies.

Well at least you're still there Tony, I think everyone has assumed it's all over. But there is an interesting story to this 'thing'.

Anyway it's not WW2. You are correct there is a lot of heat from the coil. But it's not microwaves, when consider the obvious inductance of that coil.

Well at least you're still there Tony, I think everyone has assumed it's all over. But there is an interesting story to this 'thing'.

Anyway it's not WW2. You are correct there is a lot of heat from the coil. But it's not microwaves, when consider the obvious inductance of that coil.

Clive, is it to do with degaussing ships?

Is it actually an induction heater, designed to produce eddy currents or induced currents in an object to raise the temperature of that object for some test purpose, in much the same way as induction coils are used today as part of a hardening process?

Probablt nonsense cos I haven't read the previous posts, but I am pooped....

Is it actually an induction heater, designed to produce eddy currents or induced currents in an object to raise the temperature of that object for some test purpose, in much the same way as induction coils are used today as part of a hardening process?

Probablt nonsense cos I haven't read the previous posts, but I am pooped....

Well it had that effect, but that was not its purpose. The extent of the heating took them by surprise judging by the comments in the report.

I reckon it's some kind of amplifier, or antenna,

It's connected to both

for early, long wave ship

Yes it is do with long wave ship communications.

It's been established its not WW1 or WW2, but nobody has got the right era yet.

not that this is my field, at all.....:???
You've done quite well

Below decks is the wireless room (?)

Yes

the mystery thing is an aerial ( top coil part)
Not really as it's shrouded in an iron chamber & in operation the door is closed, hence it getting hot.

can be raised out of its housing to use.

:confused::???

No its fixed

The WT equipment is a Type 36 operating on 1,100 metres, 2,600 metres & 4,000 metres. The 'thing' was only needed on the last band.

It was not needed by a shore station. Think about the problems of operating on ship & why the 'thing' was needed.

The WT equipment is a Type 36 operating on 1,100 metres, 2,600 metres & 4,000 metres. The 'thing' was only needed on the last band.

It was not needed by a shore station. Think about the problems of operating on ship & why the 'thing' was needed.

To amplify the signal for 4,000m when sea is rough and ship is rising and falling?