Mystery Object No.106

fv1609

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, he is a frogman in a training tank

and (a) is practicing underwater demolition

or (b), considering the waterlevel in the tank, could be working in a airlock?

Nope he is not a frogman.

PS I have an apology, on quite an early response I agreed he was a frogmen, which was incorrect I got confused by all the talk of cleaning up excrement & Glen Miller.

Edited by fv1609

practising evacuation from a submerged BARV ?

YES any vehicle actually but I think we have got there.

A lot of people I thought were getting very close, but we got caught up with submarines, REME & rescuers etc.

The point that it is the driver of the vehicle & he is escaping - using his VESA kit.

Picture & explanation to follow.

Instow ?

YUP

Although Instow is now used by RM, I had always assumed that it was through time FVDD/FVRDE/MVEE having started as the place to store DUKWs during the D-Day training exercises on Saunton & Woolacombe.

But it was in fact the Fording Trials Branch, Technical Group REME. Recently got a nice brochure for £1, best pounds worth I've had for a while!

App1448.jpg

App1421.jpg

For final bonus points where was the location of the REME unit that developed these techniques?

What era was this then Clive (and may I say what a sneaky one this was!!)??? :)

The description of the escape process would suit a Stalwart - other than the fact there are emergency exits which are the vertically sliding windows on either side of the cab and there is no mention of VESA kit in the CES for them!!! :)

Neil are you planning on sinking then?

Unfortunately the document isn't dated. But it does make reference to Leslie Judd of Blue Peter wading in one of their vehicles. I searched & I think she was on the programme 1972-78.

I have searched Army Code No.12123 for 1974 which is a catalogue of Army Coded publications but there is nothing that resembles VESA. Nor can I find it in British Defence Catalogues that span 1960s-80s & some of those are 3 volumes.

If you google for VESA, you will get no sense at all.

Yes that did run to quite a few posts, perhaps it was a record one. I thought BD was going to get it with "Submarine escape practice tank" because it was 50% or perhaps 75% correct. Just removing submarine would give it especially with the dual meaning of "tank". Then lunchtime I thought you were going to get it, but you ran out of steam!

Neil are you planning on sinking then?

Unfortunately the document isn't dated. But it does make reference to Leslie Judd of Blue Peter wading in one of their vehicles. I searched & I think she was on the programme 1972-78.

I have searched Army Code No.12123 for 1974 which is a catalogue of Army Coded publications but there is nothing that resembles VESA. Nor can I find it in British Defence Catalogues that span 1960s-80s & some of those are 3 volumes.

If you google for VESA, you will get no sense at all.

Yes that did run to quite a few posts, perhaps it was a record one. I thought BD was going to get it with "Submarine escape practice tank" because it was 50% or perhaps 75% correct. Just removing submarine would give it especially with the dual meaning of "tank". Then lunchtime I thought you were going to get it, but you ran out of steam!

Not bl**dy likely mate!!! :) Got too much invested in the old girl right now to lose her beneath the waves!! Just seemed odd that the Stolly was really the only vehicle of that era likely to be in water deep often enough to need that sort of escape drill - and the CES make no mention of the VESA kit. Does refer to life jackets - but that's about it...... :)