Regulating Onan's

Tony B

Question

I have finally got the generators back from Stone's place last week and have spent the afternoon playing. Both are as advertised fully operational. :yay::yay::yay: I put my Generator tester on them, both are giving out 280 to 300 volts, I presume this RMS. Does anyone know how to regulate the vopltae? Is it on the engine govenor or internal. For fun tried a load of a 1 kw heavy grinder, neither even stuttered when the grinder was started.

2 answers to this question

Engine speed will affect voltage but also alter the frequency so I assume you'd want to be leaving that alone.

If your genny tester is measuring peak voltage it would be RMS voltage * sqrt(2); 220Vrms (Euro standard) would measure as 311V so not too far out...or your meter could be out of calibration ;)

Did you measure with the load applied? The voltage isn't that well regulated (they were designed to run with a fixed, near-constant load always applied) so if practical you should be measuring while your 1kW grinder is running - that'll give you much more of an accurate idea.

I'm very glad they work! :D

Stone

The tester I have is a Harrington box that came from somewhere, built in load test. Not that it seems to worry the Onan. At least I know they are working, great bits of kit, It will proably spend most of its time at Frinmere so will be put to hard use.