Mystery Object No.105

fv1609

Sighting markers for artillery?

was a bit confused, thought this was an old MO been resurrected...No.5 :confused:

Dear Confused of Ashford, it is entirely my fault I dyslexed & entered the wrong number. The problem is going into edit your own post does not allow you to amend the main title, only the subtitle of each post.

I think someone will be along soon to adjust it for me.

Nope, not an artillery device.

Ashord is not far from hastings could it be to stop arrows !!:coffee: dont forget your hard hat richard

I think you will find arrows were no longer in service when this particular drawing was made.

There is a mirror on the other end of the equipment, the Royal Engineer can see his reflection in it.

He is able to adjust this (by means of the stings attached to the rod in his hands) his view in order to ascertain whether his handlebar moustache is parallel with the posts and thus with his eyebrows, the strings enable him to see if the width and shape conform to regulation.

I am at a loss to understand why these where discontinued...............:coffee:

There is a mirror on the other end of the equipment, the Royal Engineer can see his reflection in it.

He is able to adjust this (by means of the stings attached to the rod in his hands) his view in order to ascertain whether his handlebar moustache is parallel with the posts and thus with his eyebrows, the strings enable him to see if the width and shape conform to regulation.

I am at a loss to understand why these where discontinued...............:coffee:

They weren't meant to be used for that purpose, although if there is sufficient demand, I'm sure a well known tent maker would only be too happy to exploit an apparent gap in the market:-D

Well you lot seem keen to learn more. So here you are:

The diagram shows the construction of a Malay hitch mat. From the description you will see that one truss can make 18 Malay hitch mats.

If you use the second method you need to get your whimble out.:cool2:

App1419.jpg

App1420-1.jpg