** Route to Victory - 2010 **

Some people are already aware, but I thought it worth sharing the great news that 'Route to Victory' will be taking place in 2010!

The event will take place over three days to commemorate the 65th Anniversary of the end of the 1939-45 War in Europe. The theme of the event is to be Operation Market Garden, coupled with 'The Defence of Britain'. The dates for the event are May 1st, 2nd & 3rd, 2010.

Building on the great success of RTV 2008 organised by the Kennet Valley area of the MVT, the event will again be centred around 'Camp Ramsbury' in Wiltshire, a real focus of wartime activity and history. The weekend will feature 2 days of road convoys (again planned by the excellent team of Ed Abbott and Clive Stevens), a 1940's dance on the Saturday night, a 1940's fashion show on the Sunday with a searchlight display in the evening, a spectacular public show day on Bank Holiday Monday, and a variety of living history displays, reenactments and the 'Ramsbury at War' museum.

A web-site is now live at http://www.routetovictory.co.uk with more details, links to registration forms, etc etc.

I'm sure Keith Brigstock (RTV chief) will add to this thread as more details emerge, but I hope that those who took part in RTV in 2008 will agree with me that it was up there with the best events of recent years. RTV 2010 is something to start to get excited about!

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

• 3 months later...

Update on RTV 2010.

I understand from the organisers that provisional approval has been given from the lottery funding authority for the event, and so it is definitely a runner!

Transport will start to be booked shortly, so all interested participants should contact the event organisers (see web-site link in first post) and get your name down!!

See you there!

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates;

RTV 2010 no longer has provisional Lottery Funding...... it has Official Funding from the Lottery!!

In addition, a number of sponsorship deals have been confirmed so that the event is almost fully funded.

This is great news and allows the details for transport for vehicles etc to be finalised, so all those people who have expressed an interest in participating especially the 'heavy boys', please get back to Keith and make the arrangements.

As always, more details on the web-site.

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

• 3 weeks later...

With funding confirmed, Keith is still keen to hear from any armoured vehicle owners interested in participating; free transport can be arranged for the right equipment. Whilst the event is a three day affair, the armour highlight will be the street parade and 3-4 mile road run on the Monday only, so the armour boys don't need to give the whole weekend up if other things conflict!

I know Keith is particularly keen to try and attract some more half tracks and armoured cars as well as tanks.

The Sexton from Portsmouth is confirmed for both the street parade/road run and and as part of the artillery demonstration; quite a rare escape from its museum confines as it is not allowed to remain away overnight so will be coming up early doors Monday and returning at ENDEX.

How many Churchill's are there in working order and where are they? Can they safely run on a public road or will they tend to damage the surface?

The genuine ex 439th C47 is also confirmed for the Monday parachute drop; I for one don't mind confessing to having had a tear in my eye in 2008 when it appeared in all its period TCG garb over the village that was the UK home of the 437th TCG.

It's going to be another cracker, so miss this one at your own risk!

Keith Brigstock, principle event organiser can be contacted by email at : keith.brigstock@tiscali.co.uk

See you there!

Neil

The event is looking like it will be big!

Here is a summary of the re-enactment groups taking part in the weekend;

NW 101st Airborne (Confirmed)

All American Pathfinders (Confirmed)

Airborne Eagles (Confirmed)

Royal Navy 30 Assault Group (HMS) (Confirmed)

124th Fd Regt RA, 50th Div (The Garrison) (Confirmed)

1st Air Landing Regiment 1st Airborne Div (Summer 44) (Confirmed)

1st Belgium Artillery

1st Bn Leicestershire Regt, 49th Div (Confirmed)

1st Bn Hampshire Regt, 50th Div (Confirmed)

2nd Bn Devonshire Regt, 50th Div (Confirmed)

4th Bn Wiltshire Regt, 43rd Div (Confirmed)

2nd Bn Gloucestershire Regt 49th Div (Confirmed)

2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt, 3rd Div

D&C Light Infantry (Confirmed)

4th Bn Dorset Regt, 43rd Div (Confirmed)

4th KOSB Regt, 52nd Div

4th/6th RWFs 53rd Div

Military and Civilian Police (Confirmed)

43rd Recce (Confirmed)

30 Corps HQ

25 Bomb Disposal (Confirmed)

93rd Searchlight Regiment RA (ATS) (Confirmed)

Some of these groups are bringing their own vehicles, so will further swell the ranks of vehicles taking part.

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

Who's sharp enough to remember which photograph is the red herring?

Those halftracks in the last picture must have got lost......that's Potters forecourt in Framlingham. Only about 180 miles off course!

Full marks for spotting the odd photo out! You see, it takes a bit of local knowledge to know your petrol station forecourts countrywide!

Mind you, Phil did say he used a lot of petrol in the Half Track on 'Route to Victory,' but if he filled up in Framlingham, that probably why............!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the inclusion of the Sexton from Fort Nelson with the 'firing gun' will not only add to the spectacular of the Bank holiday Monday convoy through the village, but will also create quite a stir during the arena display!

Keith also told me today that he has two C-47's displaying as well as the Spitfire dog fight with the ME-108, so I'm not sure the village knows what they have let themselves in for!

I am trying to get there for Friday. I hope Keith lets me put my 1.4 Honda Accord automatic (with CD player) in the convoy :D

But I intend to do nothing expect chill with some chums, enjoy the ride. It has been a long long winter.

I'm so pleased you are coming up Jack as you have just saved me the price of a second class stamp and saved me the job of hunting out your address from under piles of paperwork!

Looking forward to the weekend, the convoys, the flying displays, (the sunshine?) and of course the good company from those folks on here who are planning to attend.

A couple of pictures from 2008 (just to temp you) which demonstrates how good the convoys were.

DSC_0354_2.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

Should arrive Friday night all being well - First trip of the year for the caravan, so i'll be taking it steady. (Better clean the green residue off the sides............I hate that job!)

Edited by M5Clive
addition of photographs

What time does the road run start on the Saturday? last time i nearly missed it and arrived just as everyone was getting ready to set off.

Tim

Yeah don't be late Tim - otherwise I will have to walk around the route!

Hi Tim

The Saturday convoy to the WWII Airborne Memorial near Inkpen leaves Camp Ramsbury at 9am.

We will be stopping for lunch at Simon Froom's pub at Facombe - He owns a very tidy GMC that has attended several of our Kennet Valley bash's over the years.

The weather does not look particularly kind for the Sunday Convoy, but hopefully will have passed over by the public day on Holiday Monday.

Lets face it, the weather cant be worse that 2008!

Look forward to seeing you at the weekend.

What time does the road run start on the Saturday? last time i nearly missed it and arrived just as everyone was getting ready to set off.

Tim

Tim - are you up there again tomorrow? I would call but dont have your mobile number :computerrage: