Worst British vehicle of WWII?

Jack

Had an older gentleman in the office today and we were talking about US WWII mv's v British WWII mv's. He cussed every single one except the Dingos and the Scammells.......

So what was the worst British mv of the war and why?

Bit harsh! After all the British Army was the most mechanised in the World at the start of WW2. Considering evrybody including the Axis powers used British vehicles they must have been some good. Also the conditions they were manufactured under in wartime didn't help.

Guy Ant. Excruitiatingly slooooooowwwww......

Wait. No. Can I change my reply?:rofl: Universal carriers! Ever changed a water pump on one of these things? I did the one on my Dad's mates 3" Mortar carrier. I actually had to stand on my head to get the pipe on and bolts in! NOT FUN. But they are fun to drive. Took it for a spin down the road. EVERYONE stopped and stared. No pommy vehicle is completely awful. Just when they break down. Again.:argh: I'd rather own a pommy lorry than a jeep:yay:. Everyone has a jeep.:coffee:

Guest Yin717

I think really, from what I have read, there APC's (Armoured Personnel Carriers) were pretty poor. I can't remember exactly which ones but I'll get back to you on it. However to look positively, according to sources I have read the Sherman Firefly was actually a British design! Whether that's true or not it may be down to a false book but hey I'm ready to learn.

Guy Ant. Excruitiatingly slooooooowwwww......

That I will give you but weren't most things British !!!! , except the Bedfords of course as they had things a little better sorted than most

The main thing going for the Guy Ant's was that they were rugged , reliable and would go most places and didn't suffer from fractured manifolds like other ww2 creatures but they just took a little time to get there!!!!

Cheers:coffee:

A land-Rover made it into WW2 in "Ice Cold in Alex" but that is the only wartime one I know of!

I believe the Morris trucks on Dunkirk Beach in the film 'Atonement' were based on Land Rover chassis.

What about the 'Carrier, Scout Mk1' seriously under powered, very very lightly armoured for a true AFV (which it was designated as it's day) and only armoured on one side. despite that though, I happen to think thay are brilliant - but then again I am biased as I have what may well be the last one in captivity and currently under slow restoration right here in Australia !

Cheers

Phill:-D

Was the Beaverette as bad as all that ?

Beaverette.jpg

The motorcycles in this picture are having to scratch quite hard to keep up.

Rather a Beaverette than an Armadillo. Bend-swinging with an obsolete flat bed loaded with five tons of concrete pill-box really wouldn't appeal.

I could live with a Beaverette !

Was the Beaverette as bad as all that ?

The motorcycles in this picture are having to scratch quite hard to keep up.

Motorcycles trying to keep up with a Beaverette on a hill ???? No, they are overtaking the convoy. The weight added to a normal car chassis of the period would certainly curtail any performance it might have had.

Motorcycles trying to keep up with a Beaverette on a hill ???? No, they are overtaking the convoy. The weight added to a normal car chassis of the period would certainly curtail any performance it might have had.

I erm did mean my post to sound facetious but I haven't worked out how to use the Smilies on this forum.

Could a Beaverette not outdrag a WD/C (or an M20 with a melting exhaust valve) on a long uphill stretch ?

Could a Beaverette not outdrag a WD/C (or an M20 with a melting exhaust valve) on a long uphill stretch ?

Smilies on the right, :)

Well, a Beaverette was based on a Standard 14hp chassis, with a 4 cyl 45bhp engine and weighing in at 2 tons, ... I feel sure my M20 of 12bhp could run rings around it.

The AEC Armoured car gets a pretty low rating, to tall, too much of a target.

A post on the Matador gallery got me thinking, The AEC Armoured Minelayer...hopelessly laying mines in straight lines, in the middle of tyre tracks, with the mine exposed on the surface for all to see. Now that would be a difficult minefield to clear wouldn't it?

The AEC Armoured Demolition Vehicle, with a drill dropping down to try to drill holes into bridges to place demolition charges, but the drill incapable of doing this, and when something soft enough to drill was found it just took to long to drill, and then place explosives..Even the Army realised quickly how useless these were and they got converted to other roles

Edited by antarmike