8th RAF Photo Reconnaiance Section/ Unit

jerry.ice

I came accross this web site

http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/raf_photo_reconnaissance_unit_field_photographic.html

Covers the 50`s and 60`s with the 8th Mobile Field Photographic Section in Germany.

Some great photo`s of some interesting vehicles.What are the German tractor units in the first picture? I don`t think I`ve seen these before.

There are more photos on the web site so please visit and check them out, would be great to see some at shows some time.

8mfps_8mfpu_germany_1950s.jpg

grub_up_8mfps.jpg

chiefy_donaldson_8mfps.jpg

tea_break_merge_2_1.jpg

Regards,

Jerry

Where they all bought in Germany? and were any brought back to the UK or were they all disposed of locally.

Why was so much local equipment bought, surely it just addded to the need for holding more spares Etc.

Sorry for all the questions but these vehicles don`t seem to have been remembered in the way others from that era have.

Regards

Jerry

These vehicles were not bought; they were provided by the West German government as post WW2 reperations. At this time the vast proportion of non armoured vehicles used by the RAF during this period were reperation assetts. For a period of 4 to 5 years they and all other RAF vehicles in Germany (including fire tenders) were painted deep bronze green gloss which is the colour they bear in the colour photos. Few if any found their way to UK as they were to be returned to the west German government at the end of their useful life or when they became surplus to our requirements. It was all exceptionally high standard kit, there were some fantastic mobile workshops with expanding bodies on 2 axle trailers.

The last item I came accross was a Baucher generator which we were using at Laarbruch and were forced to return to the Bunde in 1989,

TED

These vehicles were not bought; they were provided by the West German government as post WW2 reperations. At this time the vast proportion of non armoured vehicles used by the RAF during this period were reperation assetts. For a period of 4 to 5 years they and all other RAF vehicles in Germany (including fire tenders) were painted deep bronze green gloss which is the colour they bear in the colour photos. Few if any found their way to UK as they were to be returned to the west German government at the end of their useful life or when they became surplus to our requirements. It was all exceptionally high standard kit, there were some fantastic mobile workshops with expanding bodies on 2 axle trailers.

The last item I came accross was a Baucher generator which we were using at Laarbruch and were forced to return to the Bunde in 1989,

TED

Thanks for that info, I never realised they were owned by the Germans. I had thought it was to try to fit in better with the german population. For their time were these vehicles "superior" to standard British designs of the time?

Jerry

During my first Germany tour 79 to 82 there were several guys reaching the end of their time who had used the German vehicles and spoke highly of them. I worked with the baucher generators and mobile workshops- outstanding quality is the best description I can give. Many of the generators were subsequently put into service with the German civil defence/disaster organisation and that was after 30 years + with the RAF. Even the design of the trailers was better e.g. with built in tow eye adjustment to accomadate differing tow hook heights as an example.

TED.

When did these go out of service with the RAF as most pics I`ve seen from the 70`s seem to show standard British types with various bodies on ie Bedfords?

Were vehicles provided for the BOAR as well under this scheme or just the RAF.

Cheers

Jerry

The vast majority went back to the Bunde( west German government ) during the 1960s some of the trucks went on to a second life with their CD and disaster organisations. Some of the box bodied vehicles were downgraded from MT vehicles to Ground Support Equipment and used in a static role i.e. offices on dispersals I know of several coaches that were buried as command posts The RAF regt rapier sqn at Bruggen had 2 places off the airfield where they they had them as command posts. The trailers continued in service longer; especially the generators as I stated earlier in the thread. As you state by 1970 most of the trucks had gone.

For your info, the german provisioned MT covered the whole range; refuellers. tankers, GS trucks, coaches, heavy prime movers and trailers, certain plant etc etc. In most period pictures the only UK origin vehicles are Landies surrounded by German stuff.

In Berlin we continued to use German kit til we pulled out; It was funded from a special Berlin budget.

In Berlin the Army had a lot of German origin non armoured vehicles, but I don't know about in the rest of Germany; RAF vehicles are of course my main interest so I took little interest in what the brown jobs were doing.

TED

Nice Beatle

Here´s another shot of the same Beetle with registration 82 AB 37. Interestingly, it has an oval rear window, these were built between 1953-1957. So these photos were taken after 1953. Until now, I had not seen photos of this type of Volkswagen Beetle in use with the British Armed Forces. All the pics I had seen to date are of the 1945-1953 split window type.

Hanno

8mfps_bull.jpg

Edited by mcspool

The vast majority went back to the Bunde( west German government ) during the 1960s some of the trucks went on to a second life with their CD and disaster organisations. Some of the box bodied vehicles were downgraded from MT vehicles to Ground Support Equipment and used in a static role i.e. offices on dispersals I know of several coaches that were buried as command posts The RAF regt rapier sqn at Bruggen had 2 places off the airfield where they they had them as command posts. The trailers continued in service longer; especially the generators as I stated earlier in the thread. As you state by 1970 most of the trucks had gone.

For your info, the german provisioned MT covered the whole range; refuellers. tankers, GS trucks, coaches, heavy prime movers and trailers, certain plant etc etc. In most period pictures the only UK origin vehicles are Landies surrounded by German stuff.

In Berlin we continued to use German kit til we pulled out; It was funded from a special Berlin budget.

In Berlin the Army had a lot of German origin non armoured vehicles, but I don't know about in the rest of Germany; RAF vehicles are of course my main interest so I took little interest in what the brown jobs were doing.

TED

Do you know if the Germans had to supply the US and French forces with their MT requirements. I know the French used the Unimog, and think i have seen pics of US Margius Deutz Tractors. Where they also responsible for all the maintenance and servicing of these.

Thanks for the info so far, fascinating subject.

I remember being in Berlin in`86 or `87 for a week. The contrast between the two halves of the city was massive. In East Berlin the Lada`s and Trabants and out in the suberbs very drab with standard Comunist design housing blocks, + still signs of shell damage on older buildings. We had to account for every East German Marc we had spent when going back to the west. West Berlin by contrast was so alive and buzzing with big Mercs and BMW`s every where. Had my 18th birthday in Berlin (that was a damn good night out!!!) and would make it `86.

Cheers

Jerry