What book are you reading at the moment?

Great War truck

• 1 month later...

just read in the shadow of Arnhem and tank from d to ve day both by Ken Tout ,this was after borrowing and reading in 3 days tanks advance by the same author (I was in Normandy at the time so was seeing the locations daily) and have to say they are all excellent

Nigel

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy

By: Antony Beevor.

Anyone with an interest in WW2 MUST read his account (I am around half way through), as with his other 'definitive' histories (Stalingrad, Berlin:The Downfall) Normandy is a real page turner. All of the detail is from primary period sources weaving a picture of the Invasion and subsiquent two months is detail from both sides and from meetings with Hitler right down to the doctors dealing with 'fatigue'.

It doesn't feel quite as - well I don't know - Berlin was the first one I read and it made me weep at the shear death and stupidity, the blood seem to drip from the pages. Normandy on the other hand is a little more remote, even so, possible the best overview of the Invasion that you will read.

My Christmas presents to myself. Fascinating reading. The trouble is that the one in the red binding seems never to have been read & I am causing the spine to crack. I am reading it by only opening it by 60 degrees, in a similar way one might glance at something in the newsagents hoping your mother doesn't turn around!

Even so it is progressively cracking thereby devaluing it. But a book is a book it contains knowledge & not to read it is a denial of its very purpose. Just keeping it solely as an investment seems as repugnant to me as seeing the proud delight of the owner of a child's toy still in a box because it has never been played with, kinda sad.

Dscf1796.jpg

Dscf1795.jpg

Lots of interesting stuff, only £1 at today's carboot.

Note that it is designated OU 5296 meaning it is in the restricted classification of Official Use. OU was abandoned in 1942 & reclassified in the new BR series (Books of Reference)

App2074.jpg

• 11 months later...

Bought "Ghost Road" at a jumble sale for 20p. Started reading it a few days ago. Did something today which i normally never do with books and threw it into a bin as i went past. Some books are so bad I am doing the world a service by chucking it away. Even too bad for recycling.

Anyway, that still leaves me some cracking books in my to read pile. Next on the pile is "Railway Operating Division" which logically enough concerns the British military standard gauge railways during WW1. It is an A4 hard backed book stuffed full of interesting photos. cant wait to get stuck into it.

"Imperial Reckoning",

how the British were mighty naughty to the peace loving , freedom fighting Mau Mau and how the British were almost as bad as the Nazis. I'm getting the imression the writer doesn't like us.

Plus a Clive Cussler book, which is top.

Hmm, well its IT (Stephen King), for the second time, many years since I read it first time around..........

Current bedside reading also includes salivating over my ZIL-157/157K in Detail book.

I love these trucks, I want one badly but finding them in this corner of Europe is like looking for Rocking Horse S##T!! :cry:

Alec.