What book are you reading at the moment?

Great War truck

When you compare The Colour of Magic with the latest, Discworls really has developed. Note Oat's has reappeared from Carpe Jugalum, especially like the bit about 'Forgivness'

Back on track , Escape to Freedom by Tony Johnson, I got mine free after renewing Britian At War, another great read.

I just finished reading "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor. Gosh, that was depressing. I bought it second hand for next to nothing. I would never read it again so have passed it on to make someone else miserable. All war is terrible and horrible, but sometimes funny storys or amazing events happen which make it an interesting read. There was nothing like this in "Stalingrad", just a succession of horrible and brutal events for everybody on both sides. So, if you want to be depressed, i would reccomend it.

Tim (too)

When you compare The Colour of Magic with the latest, Discworls really has developed. Note Oat's has reappeared from Carpe Jugalum, especially like the bit about 'Forgivness'

yep, I agree, like all writers, the great one has really developed the disc.

Still think Soul Music is the best one though

Mark

yep, I agree, like all writers, the great one has really developed the disc.

Still think Soul Music is the best one though

Mark

I have a leaning to Wee Free Men! Makes me trhink of trhe club house on Saturday night, or Bunker Bash on Sunday morning. :cool2:

By Tank into Normandy - as reviewed by Snapper.

So far in it gives a great insight into how it was to fight in tank. It is the first WWII book that I have picked up since last year.

Finished this yesterday and I think it will be the last book like I read like this for a while.

An interesting and insight into the life and war of a tank commander but I just can't cope with the horrors of war - even thou I have never been in one.

It may just be me but stuff like this sits in my mind forever and that's why this is the first book I have picked up since last year as that last book affected me in the same way.

I don't particularly want to get into the airy fairy stuff but stuff like this does damage to my soul and spirit. The author of this book went through the war with his best friend who he had met at college - two days before the end of the war they sat down for dinner - the next day his friend took a direct hit in his turret from an 88. The author was devastated by this loss and you can see that by the pictures used at the beginning and the end - both of him and his best friend. When the end of the war was declared the whole battalion celebrated with as much champagne as they could drink. After two drinks he went to bed and thought of his friend...

I just finished reading "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor. Gosh, that was depressing.

I've read that and "Berlin" by the same author. Both well written books but they really do bring to the front the horrors of war. I woke from nightmares a couple of times after reading "Stalingrad" - something I normally don't experience.

Having just finished reading my Pratchetts for the nth time I decided to re read my Ian Fleming Bond collection.....still like the stories once you get past his casual sexism and racism and I still think they are far better in book form than the film 'adaptations' . Now that Unseen Academicals has arrived I'm on that and about halfway through (holidaymaking this week) . Night Watch still the best for me .

Yes, i would say that the Vimes books (particularly Men at Arms) were the best Pratchett's.

I read Berlin as well and that was equally depressing - a bit like watching Downfall. I remember Stalingrad coming out and being a best seller. All these people who dont read military books went out and bought it. In fact, i was offered it by someone years ago who i thought would never read a military book who having read it wanted to pass it on. i still have berlin though. Not sure if i have the stomach to read it again.

Tim (too)

Yes, i would say that the Vimes books (particularly Men at Arms) were the best Pratchett's.

I read Berlin as well and that was equally depressing - a bit like watching Downfall. I remember Stalingrad coming out and being a best seller. All these people who dont read military books went out and bought it. In fact, i was offered it by someone years ago who i thought would never read a military book who having read it wanted to pass it on. i still have berlin though. Not sure if i have the stomach to read it again.

Tim (too)

I'd lean towards "Thud" as the best of the Vimes books myself.... Rumour control says the next pair of Disc World books to be turned into TV by SKY are "Guards, Guards" and "Men at Arms" Wonder who will get to play the part of Angua?

As regards the true recollections of any of the WW2 events - they all have much the same effect as Bsrlin and Stalingrad. One book I had a while ago was written by the commander of a Churchill in Normandy. The opening chapters were quite light dealing with training and crew personalities. But the events after landing in Normandy were a hell of a lot darker. The guy survived two tanks being shot out under him and in one case he and the crew had to leg it from approaching Germans. Only weapon they had between them was this guys revolver and on the ranges at home he'd always scored top marks. However when he fired at the Germans not a round hit and the closing line tells of one of the crew rolling over in his sleep and saying in a scornful voice "so much for Deadshot Dick"... Makes you think....

Don't like the TV adaptions, since when does David Jason fit the descriptions of Rincewind, or Albert! Mind you the politically correct bit in Hogfarther where the cigarretes keep getting blown about made me smile.

Tony Gerharty's BRIXMIS is worth a read as is THE RAVENS and AIR AMERICA. If you can get a copy, Braver Men Walk Away, though not strictly military is worth a read.

Radio version of Maurice and his Educated Rodents, is good though. /Which book first mentions that? Wasn't it Nanny Ogg?

Maybe we should get Leonard of Quirm to give Jack some advice on the GMC? For tghose who haven't seen it The Last Hero is a must beautiful illustrations by the late Paul Kidby

Edited by Tony B

• 4 weeks later...

I borrowed the Brixmis book. Brilliant i thought. Currently reading the WW1 book "East Africa by Motor Lorry". A superb book and i have come across a couple of pictures of Autocars like ours in use (ours was restored with an East Africa pattern GS lorry body), which is always nice to see.

Tim

This has set me thinking this damp morning and I must find our copy of First Overland by Tim Slesssor, high time I re-read that .

For those who don't know the book , it is the story of six Oxford / Cambridge students who in 1955 persuaded Land Rover to lend them two brand new series one's and became the first people to drive overland from London to Singapore . I see that the film they shot is also now available on DVD , have to have a look for that sometime .

just got "Lancashire Airfields In The Second World War" by Aldon P.Freguson.

looks like some interesting facts etc,very detailed in places,some good pics (nice one of a wc51 with unusual rear cover) (this book covers Cark too Bodge) .....got off e bay

Edited by Willyslancs

• 4 weeks later...

Rather fortuitously, i have just finished reading the last of the stack of books i got for Christmas last year.

I am now reading Lynne Macdonalds "To the last man", and the exciting named "Service Station Manual", which if you are unfamiliar with this was published in the mid 1930's and gives you every snippet of information necessary to run your own garage/petrol station. It is really interesting. No, it really is.

Tim

just got "Lancashire Airfields In The Second World War" by Aldon P.Freguson.

looks like some interesting facts etc,very detailed in places,some good pics (nice one of a wc51 with unusual rear cover) (this book covers Cark too Bodge) .....got off e bay

Sounds good... I think I've got Cumbrian Airfields somewhere definately which you can borrow if y'like.

Funnily enough GWT I saw that manual a few weeks ago and nearly bought ... no really I nearly did!

Just on with Tumult in The Sky about a USAAF fighter pilot who transferred from the Eagle Squadron to fly Thunderbolts with the 4th FG... a good read...