Deep Bronze Green or MOD Green

Skint George

Question

My 1972 Lightweight is painted Deep Bronze Green, the way it was when it left the factory.

I have seen other old Landrovers painted a darker green that looks like British Racing Green.

A contact on a Landrover forum has told me that MOD green was used too.

Does anyone know it's correct colour title or a similar "civvy" equivalent and where I could get it?

George

14 answers to this question

Here are the colour codes for the Various Greens probably found on your Landrover:-

BS381C 224 Deep Bronze Green

BS381C 298 Olive Drab

BS381C 285 NATO Green

It would of left Land Rover painted Deep Bronze Green, if it was then painted Camouflage to tone it down, it would of been Olive Drab then after 1974, it would of been painted NATO green, which became the standard camouflage green colour, Clive Elliott has done a series of painting articles in Clives Corner of this forum, all about this. :)

Edited by Adam Elsdon
finger trouble!

IMHO - just after 1974 is a few years too soon for NATO IRR.

IMHO BSC 298 was in fact the paint used just prior to introduction of NATO 285

IMG_0891.jpg

298 is very near to fresh 285 and can be easily mistaken , to my eyes 285 has more black content and 298 is a more pleasing colour with a touch more green.

regards

Excuse the previous post i had finger trouble! here is the current BS381C chart, note that this has changed a few times over the years, so if you are ordering paint, make sure it is the same code as the modern chart!!!

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/bs381c.html

By the way, the AFS colour isnt Deep Bronze Green, they used something else, Croc on this forum knows what it is, as he has a tin of matching paint for his AFS Gipsy, he has an ex AFS Bedford RL as well, and all the shades of green are slightly different.

The Champ probably is DBG but this colour as it ages it can get darker (more so if it is a cheap alkyd type) - even cellulose does not fade as it oxydizes .

I have a Lightweight GS, 19 FM 65 that I re-sprayed in 1982 with Berger cellulose DBG using their premioum Supergloss thinners. It set off like yours but now is almost as dark as the Champ , it was done with several thin coats of DBG and the Supergloss gave a high gloss off the gun (as intended) . It has never been compounded or cut. I have it on blocks awaiting a re-fit and re-spray. I could restore the alloy panels without re-spray but the bulkhead side panels / footwells were done with Galfroid inside & out and it has cream crackered & taken the DBG with it - so it will be to start again but the rest will just get a flash coat.

Excuse the previous post i had finger trouble! here is the current BS381C chart, note that this has changed a few times over the years, so if you are ordering paint, make sure it is the same code as the modern chart!!!

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/bs381c.html

By the way, the AFS colour isnt Deep Bronze Green, they used something else, Croc on this forum knows what it is, as he has a tin of matching paint for his AFS Gipsy, he has an ex AFS Bedford RL as well, and all the shades of green are slightly different.

ADAM the AFS, CD, British Army and the RAF in Germany for a 5 year period all used BS 381c tint 224 Gloss deep Bronze Green. This colour darkens with age hence many GGs look much darker than DBG but you can be assured this info is spot on

TED

I have an ex AFS Gipsy, did a complete respray; covered her up with a tarp for the bad weather, the securing rope chaffed a small area on a wing, touched up from the same tin both for the original respray and the touch up I tumbled and shook the tin then stirred for 5 minutes In just 5 months visibly darker. That is why for many years the Goddesses in storage looked like patchwork quilts until they got a full respray.

Deep Bronze green is one of just a handful of colours that darkens ; whereas most fade.

TED

ADAM the AFS, CD, British Army and the RAF in Germany for a 5 year period all used BS 381c tint 224 Gloss deep Bronze Green. This colour darkens with age hence many GGs look much darker than DBG but you can be assured this info is spot on

TED

Spoke to Croc, the paint he has is indeed 224 DBG, the confusion came with people thinking it is Landrover Bronze Green which is quite different.

I am now wiser to the ways of AFS painting!!

If anyone knows what colour Blue the Home Office Police Column Gipsys were painted, (I have one that has been civvied) that would be appreciated!