New to the Bedford RL

ACH

Richard, I had a look today, there's no take off point under the alternator unfortunately. Thanks for the info about the S type PAS, god knows where I'm going to find that. Is there anything usable off any of the later Bedfords (MJ & MK)?

I'm hoping to be making a start on it in the next couple of weeks, a couple of hours in the evenings before I go home, will keep you posted with my progress.

Berna - lets hope so!

Richard, I had a look today, there's no take off point under the alternator unfortunately. Thanks for the info about the S type PAS, god knows where I'm going to find that. Is there anything usable off any of the later Bedfords (MJ & MK)?

The M series had an option of PAS, in all the hundreds of these that I worked on for the Army, never saw one in service, also the MK/MJ one is different, the ram and valve is combined in one unit.

But Richard, would one fit off an MJ or MK? I would imagine they are much easier to source, I think Suffolk County Council's gritters were all MKs until they got rid of them a few years ago and they had power steering.

Unfortunately I need to fit power steering, I injured my back a few years ago and I find it difficult driving without PAS these days. I even converted my old Series 3 about 5 years ago so I could still use it, although the RL on the drive home wasn't too bad but the crane being mounted on the back made the steering light and made it a bit bouncy and for what I'm doing I need to have the crane behind the cab.

I could have bought a more modern truck but to be honest the old ones have much more character and are simple to work on, easy to maintain, admittedly it can be a pain to find some parts for older vehicles but where would you buy a truck with 6.5k miles on the clock for £850?

But Richard, would one fit off an MJ or MK? I would imagine they are much easier to source, I think Suffolk County Council's gritters were all MKs until they got rid of them a few years ago and they had power steering.

Sorry, but I do not know the length of a MK cylinder, but just so you can see what one consists of, here is a picture from the Bedford manual of one.

Bedford steering.jpg

ACH, if you'd like to measure up a MJR power steering set-up on a vehicle at Norwich next week, PM me. Rams are readily available, and you will probably get a take-off ram, chassis bracket and reservoir from Spindlers or SBS Spares.

The ram length is only an issue because it determines where on the chassis the bracket must be mounted - the travel will be similar on both vehicles. Looking at Richard's S-Type drawing it shoulkd be OK.

Other question is whether you need to shorten the drag link by 2 or 3 inches.

Alternatively give me the length of your drag link from steering box to axle steering arm and I'll see if it is possible.

Tony

Yeah, I'll take you up on that offer mate. Will measure the drag link tomorrow and let you know, but I'm sure there'll be a way round any problems. I've pm'd you.

Many thanks again Richard for all your help.

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to do a bit more to the RL. Had to move a 4 post ramp out of the way but this did enable me to get the RL in the building so I could work on it undercover.

I can't believe how simple it is to work on, front panel is off, radiator is out, most of the ancilleries are off the engine, wheels are off and it's up on axle stands at the front so I can assess underneath the cab once the engine is out. There's a couple of bits of welding that need removing and re-doing. Also I've stripped the gear box, clutch, flywheel and bell housing off the 330. I need to get the petrol engine out so I can weigh up if I need anything else for the conversion.

Went and saw NOS today, the power steering system looks like it can be easily modified to fit and also sorted the tyres problem out.

engine out 5.JPG

engine out 11.JPG

engine out 19.JPG

• 9 years later...