Sand Bags, walls and filling

R Cubed

I am looking at getting some sand bags, but am undecided what to fill them with, I have heard of polystyrene chips and also some other materials, can users of sand bags give suggestions and pics of their walls/bunkers so I can make a decision....

I am looking at getting some sand bags, but am undecided what to fill them with, I have heard of polystyrene chips and also some other materials, can users of sand bags give suggestions and pics of their walls/bunkers so I can make a decision....

Enjoy the in depth conversation of sandbag fillers!.....mine are filled with more sandbags.

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54244

Paul

Er, most of us have wall paper, or paint on the walls. :n00b: If you are filling with polystyrene etc add something like a lump of wood to give weight or they will never stay in place.

:nono: You must have a funny house if you can take the walls to a show !!!!!!:cool2:

Someone the other day suggested using wood bark, like you put on the garden to stop the weeds coming through. I think this might be a bit too heavy, think I need about 200 bags :shake:

Once filled up is the size about 24 inches long and 5 inches high, the bags I have seen are empty and flat and are 31 inches by 12 inches wide.

Bubble wrap is the way to go!

Hmmmm must be "boys" sand bags to go with the "boys truck" :cool2:

Something a bit hevier I think, but not "mans" sand bags with sand in, I am not that much of a man :-D :-D :-D :-D

Good suggestions though, I will give them all a try and decide what I want to go with.

I've got wood shavings, wrapped in black bin liners, in mine;

Good points, they are light and pack well; Less Good points they are light, so building a 'wall' type emplacement, they do tend to fall over, (I've sort of got found this problem by driving metal stakes into ground and building wall between them,......then covering said stakes with spare hessian,....seems to work ok. :)

Having said that, next ones I'll add small amount of pea shingle, well wrapped, to filling.

Andy

The sandbags for our Gulf war display are filled with polystyrene packing stuff (looks like a figure of 8). Some of them have a couple of rocks/bricks in which stops the rest from flying away when stacked. The lighter ones make comfy pillows when lazing around in the sun!

• 2 weeks later...
Well another thing which has sprung to mind is with the stringy bit supplied at the open end, how should you tie it up ?

With a knot! :n00b: Disposable supermarket carrier bags make a good liner to hold other fillers. I also stick a bag in one and hang it up as 'period' rubbish sack. Rolled up they make improvised head gear. One remark pased at a show 'Why do you have a sandbag on your head? Answer 'Because I can!' The secret was another Tesco in bag , kept the heavy rain off beautifully. The other uses from the Great War especially was over boots and as gaiters. Versitile bits of kit.

Edited by Tony B

• 1 year later...
I use sawdust in bin bags in the sandbags... no back trouble and enough weight to stack convincingly

Spot on..... we have been using the same method and the bags have been filled and used regularly now for the last four years, you get no smell from dry sawdust, you must put it into plastic bags first, prevents the finer stuff from leaking out of the sandbag, and also keeps the stuff dry when your display is out in the rain, everyone wants to borrow our bags, so we must be doing something right!!!!:kissoncheek:

Ive used wood chips before. Tree surgens are normally pleased to give them away, or from garden centres. The type for mulching.

Unfortunately you do tend to get lots of woodlice mixed in with the barkmulch + a lot of other insects...... the sawdust, so long as its clean and dry, makes a much better stocking filler... just trying to help. :trustme: :wave::wave: