got an idea...to help everyone

paulob1

I am for my sins a bit of a biker lover...and am a member of the kettle club and emergency help group...the gist of the group is that members who are willing to help in some way provide their contact details and it is published annually on a cardboard sheet for everyone to carry when travelling. SO they can call someone locally and see if they can help the broken down biker if they can...

After hearing about the saladin breaking down just a few tens of miles from me.. I could have saved him a fortune by bringing him back to my place initially Guildford and either him sorting repairs there with my extensive tool kit, or organised proper transport back to his home...

Its just a thought, is anyone else as benevolent as me....or wanting to help...most of you guys always seem real keen to help, I would have really enjoyed myself and i would not charge 1180 quid...ouch...just petrol money please...

I am definitely getting full breakdown cover from now on but it just seems to me people can and do want to help...

any takers...do we start something like this...

Didn't the MVT try that a few years back? Sure there was a list of members you could ring by location who would offer one or more of :

- roadside second pair of hands to help

- a tow

- full recovery

I guess that as you would be paying someone (even if only for fuel money) then legally it would be "hire and reward" and you would not be insured to do it so that was the end of that. I suppose you could always pay up afterwards....

Great idea though Paulob, sadly I suspect I would be a taker rather than a giver, seeing as I'm only 12 miles from your storage.

The Triumph Sports Six Club operate a scheme on these lines . The membership book - which is issued each year - has a list in it of members , by area , willing to help out in an emergency & what they can offer - a bed for the night , storage , a garage & equipment , technical knowledge or whatever . It works well and is much appreciated , of course with a membership in excess of 10000 they have the country pretty well covered .

The Triumph Sports Six Club operate a scheme on these lines . The membership book - which is issued each year - has a list in it of members , by area , willing to help out in an emergency & what they can offer - a bed for the night , storage , a garage & equipment , technical knowledge or whatever . It works well and is much appreciated , of course with a membership in excess of 10000 they have the country pretty well covered .

Saab Owners Club does the same thing. Very useful!!!

I was in the TSSC some years ago, always thought it a good idea, as far as i know it hasnt caused problems for those listed. Im only a short distance from Croc, but if anybody needs a hand i'd be up for it, especially as we have some unique heavy vehicles that could cost a fortune to recover/garage repair even if they manage it. As for the hire/reward you could help in the recovery as friends and settle up the difference at a later date.

agree totally as long as you dont get paid for the job then there is no reward. A donation to your fuel fund is nothing to do with the help you give..

Perhaps if i start a list, get an idea of who wants to be part of it then we can make a decision...

Paul Ob1...Alton, Guildford areas...

I would be up for it ,and i was in sports six club many years ago and went out to help a guy with a herald ,towed him to a garage but his anti roll bar wasnt as secure as it should have been oops. But yeah wouldnt want my info for all to see just members.

But yeah wouldnt want my info for all to see just members.

Unfortunately the forum is free for all to read, not just members, so your details would be on view..

Also any personal info you put on any internet site can/will be picked up by crawlers & bots which can then be shared with marketing comapanies & spammers... this is how they get hold of email addresses & other presonal info.

Edited by Marmite!!

No it would not be published on the forum but via a leaflet sent to known members home address, you would never publish it on a forum, come on no one is that daft and its not what I said, It would take a little admin but it works for the kettle club and clearly for others...

Edited by paulob1

The Norton club did this for years but it seemed to die a death. I was contacted once in about twenty years (on a sunday by a Norwegian with a blown head gasket which I could provide so the system worked).

The list was a printed one that was only provided to those who appeared in it, not even to all members.

NOW THATS AN INTERESTING IDEA TOO. The problem is some people who would help generally cant and so dont get the benefit. To be sure there may be little people can do. I certainly have never been called by the kettle club members but its nice to know when i am out there is someone local who I could call if I am stuck...

i would be up for this but as with others have the resevation about giving details out but the leaflet sent via post is not a bad idea .

I'd always help if i could even if its just a cup of tea and some friendly mick taking ...

I used to ride a lambretta so i understand the feeling of sitting miles from home on the side of the road all to well .

I'm in let me know the verdict

Iain

I am happy to help in the North Leeds area. Why could a PM not be sent to those interested? I know it would take some input from the team that run the fourm, but that would be a way of keeping the contact details 'secure'. Maybe a quarterly PM or something which could printed off and put in your wallet.... Just an idea.

Ken

Count me in as well. Could help out with tools helping hand etc.

As i idea could you not have a call number say to a pay as you go mobile so you dont need to put money on it. One person holds that phone and has i list of names, numbers and loctions of help . Saves everyone posting there phone numbers and loctions etc.

okay this is getting some momentum...can you guys all PM me and i will pm you my plans..my details, etc so you know i am here and real and I will log everyones names and locations, type of help available and send it to all those who are in the group....I would much prefer it to be run by the forum but there seems little or no interest in doing it.......

We need a name for the group I guess...hey guys can we use the HMVF name as our group heading, ie HMVF emergency help group...could we have a new heading for it,,,not sure it justifies that just yet but there does seem a good deal of interest...