Trailer MOT's?

And coming soon to a station near you...........MoT testing for trailers.

Oh dear.....

just picture the scene - little Hitler from VOSA insists the AFV you are driving has to have an MOT and forces you to take it to the nearest testing station.

At the station the tester looks at his brake rollers, looks at the tracks on the AFV and proceeds to ask the jumped up little Hitler how the f*** he is supposed to carry out the mandated brake test with rollers on a vehicle that has over 90% of its road gripping service still on the floor when the front road wheels are in the rollers?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We have wandered a bit off topic though!!! :)

Do you think they would have an age exemption on them, and would they be able to test trailer electrics with military jack plugs, because surely they would have to test the trailer free of the towing vehicle!

Keeping the thread off topic for thr moment:-D In France any trailor over 750kgs has its own vehicle log book and test:stop: and even better if you tow a trailor over 750kgs you need another driving test and a letter on your license. Of course you have to pay for this:tup::Nicolas and the French government:cool2:

Christian

Do you think they would have an age exemption on them, and would they be able to test trailer electrics with military jack plugs, because surely they would have to test the trailer free of the towing vehicle!

Who knows ?

Apparently - so the gent who told us about this said - they took a brand new off the shelf Ifor Williams trailer and went through the proposed testing procedure with it............It failed on about twenty major points so they gave it back with some suggestions to the manufacturer and went away to have another think about things .

In NZ all trailers have to be inspected every six months, like all vehicles.

The vehicle test is done by a certified local garage, with heavy trucks (over 3.5 tonne) being inspected by a different agency.

Trailer inspections are simple, tyre condition, wheel bearings, lights, towing connection, and structural condition.

Gone are the days of rusted out boat trailers been seen in use.

However like all aspects of vehicle legisation, once the red tape beaucrates start with an idea it tends to expand to their wishes!

Doug

Is this actually 100% comming into force? Any published confirmation at all?

I wouldnt be in the least suprised!

ANOTHER piece of EU Legislation that we will HAVE to comply with, no doubt?

Shame we cant' comply with EU Firearm legislation. IE: We COULD have semi-Auto Military rifles, Handguns ETC.........

A good example of this govenments pick & mix choice of rules.

Again, it's benifits the Governments purposes, but NOT the voting public they 'Serve'???? :-\

I have seen the result of:

1 A single car transport trailer that broke loose from the towing vehicle when the chassis finally broke after being cracked for some time. The driver of the car it hit had his right leg sliced off.

2 A horse trailer with a floor so badly rotted that a horse put it's foot through while on the move. The injury to the horse was so severe it had to be destroyed.

Perhaps an annual check up by a competent person would not be such a bad idea.

Who knows ?

Apparently - so the gent who told us about this said - they took a brand new off the shelf Ifor Williams trailer and went through the proposed testing procedure with it............It failed on about twenty major points so they gave it back with some suggestions to the manufacturer and went away to have another think about things .

I asked Ifor the question... reply below..

Dear Lee

We are not aware of MOTs coming in for trailers. However there are new requirements relating to Type Approval coming in next year. These apply to the construction of new trailers and may require a one off inspection. The link below will take you to the VOSA document detailing the changes.

When you open the first document you will see there is a table on page 4 showing current and future requirements. MOTs for trailers are not included.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/ECWVTA%20Leaflet.pdf

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/ECWVTA%20industry%20survey%20leaflet%20and%20questionnaire.pdf

We have not been contacted by VOSA in relation to one of our trailers “failing” a test. The vast majority of our trailers are sold abroad where type approval schemes are already in place. To obtain type approvals for these trailers they must pass an inspection to ensure compliance with the EC regulations so our trailers already meet these standards.

Regards

Andrew Reece Jones

Design Engineering Manager

Ifor Williams Trailers Limited

Cynwyd, Corwen, Denbighshire, LL21 0LB, UK

Tel. +44 (0) 1490 412626 (Main) +44 (0) 1490 412527 (Sales)

Web. www.iwt.co.uk

Is this actually 100% comming into force? Any published confirmation at all?

I wouldnt be in the least suprised!

ANOTHER piece of EU Legislation that we will HAVE to comply with, no doubt?

Shame we cant' comply with EU Firearm legislation. IE: We COULD have semi-Auto Military rifles, Handguns ETC.........

A good example of this govenments pick & mix choice of rules.

Again, it's benifits the Governments purposes, but NOT the voting public they 'Serve'???? :-\

Calm down dear!! it's only to distract the great unwashed from every other ***up. After all we all know the 'Other sides' voters are the caravanning lot! Mind you with some of the ways I've seen people towing it wouldn't be a bad idea. However towing an unsafe trailer you can still be got under Construction and use regs!Livestock transport now comes under it's own set of weird and wonderful rules. One nasty that is orbiting rounmd Brussels concerns private Heavy goods. The idea of bringing them under driving hour rules and tacho's. So you must have a certain amount of 'Rest' per week. The devil is the definition of rest is 'Time which you allocate at your discretion'. The possible foul up is that if you are working 9 till 5 five days a week, have you had the nessacary rest before driving your truck to a weekend show?

No surprise as since April 2009 tow bars are included in an MOT if fitted to cars etc, only the actual bar and not the electrics ...........yet.

Ashley

No surprise as since April 2009 tow bars are included in an MOT if fitted to cars etc, only the actual bar and not the electrics ...........yet.

Ashley

As the towbar becomes effectivley part of the structure I'd say that is long overdue. I remember an incident years ago at an AWDC event when the nato hitch sherred off the front of a stuck vehicle when it was yanked. I hit the bottom of a ditch very quick.

As the towbar becomes effectivley part of the structure I'd say that is long overdue. I remember an incident years ago at an AWDC event when the nato hitch sherred off the front of a stuck vehicle when it was yanked. I hit the bottom of a ditch very quick.

I remember that - a Range Rover tried to recover a Champ using a KERR rope. The Nato hitch broke off the Champ and flew through the rear window and windscreen of the Rangie, narrowly missing the driver's head.:shake: