Brightons Last Pillbox

Spoken to the Civil Engineers today, Very nice man with a passion for Bunkers as well! So it seems that we have one saved pillbox.

Or at least a section of the front wall. As to remove the whole thing is not possible.

Now Its just a waiting game till the project starts and I can arrange removal and relocation..

Thats when My HMVF appeal will begin..

I will be needing help from you Kind HMVF types:)

Bodies to help load and unload the structure.

And a vehicle to transport the approx 4-5Tonne wall.

And a Hiab? or something crane like to move from its old home to its new...

Any volunteers on the project?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting into Pillboxes myself recently. There are some absolute cracking pillboxes just outside Hungerford. A lot more just outside Devizes. I'm going to start to take some pictures of them.

Wish I was able to help you mate. Keep up the good work, it's great to see someone take an interest in these forgotten structures.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read this thread and must applaud your efforts and am glad to see that for once a local council has got some common sense ,most would just quote health and safety at you and say access is not possible let alone consider allowing removal and preservation,good luck with your project

Nigel

• 2 months later...

Well, A quick update.

It seems that the West Pier trust seem helpful and try their best to push my point. As usual it comes down to money,The project manager who is from a seperate company has just informed me that my out lined plans have no budget and would require extra work. So I feel great disappointment is indeed looming!

Now I have to wait to hear from the Demolition Company,I feel I had a great rapor with MD and fingers crossed they can take some time to preserve history over profit. Having strong links to the Royal Engineers and in interest in Fortifications I hope he can help.

Unfortunatly if I am told that it cannot go ahead there is very little I can do, other than run a press feature and try and pressure them,but with big players its always money over history.

This feels like the last few days of the stand.. so fingers crossed everyone!

Do you think a petition would hold any stand?

It might... worth a try

And the new Pathfinder mag arrived back from the printers today with your excellent peice about the structure so it will be reaching a wider audience... lets hope it does some good

Indeed it did and a great piece Paul - well done!

Many thanks, I have not seen it yet,but I think there is a copy heading my way as we type. I look forward to it:)

For those interested I also have an Article in Landrover Owners International next month with my 110 TUM, I'll see if i can ge some scans when its printed.