Brightons Last Pillbox

Fortunately along the untouched coastline up here, the old defences are still intact and in fantastic condition, given the conditions. Its Amazingly nothing is mentioned about the 3 pillboxes and the 150 or so remaining tank blocks, the shooting butts or the remains of a large gun emplacement and observation posts a mile or so further on, however the birds get a mention on the information board!

This is at Kingston on Spey:

05082009288.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

My bunch find many hours of fun exploring military and defence related structures. As per usual, history counts for nothing, unless it's a money maker for the powers that be. I could list a hoard of things that in my mind need preserving, but it'll never happen. I would also like to mention, that if you're a rich feller who buys a Palmerston Fort etc, you can do what you like with it, unlike the poor old unwashed volunteers who try to keep our heritage alive, who have to put up with EH (You can't do that!) hassle.

Full size rant available on request! :-D

Just to show what a different attitude from a local council can achieve along with a group of dedicated local enthusiasts.

Blyth Battery has its official opening this weekend. If you are ever in the area it is well worth a visit.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/09/02/wartime-battery-is-turned-into-tourist-attraction-61634-24582965/

I have been granted access by the Council for entry ( I could never work out where you enter this structure) and I will propose that If and when Its to be demolished I would request the front wall face as intact as possible for removal till I can house or place in a museum.

I shall keep you all posted on the progress of my visit and indeed the future of Military History

Paul

Hello Paul, I used to live in Lewes a few years back.

I also used to go into Brighton on a Saturday to go to the Street Market in Upper Gardiner St looking for treasures!

I always liked walking around Brighton, especially the seafront & on the Pier.

I have say (Ashamedly!) I never acually noticed the pillbox. Or cannot actually recall it there.

There are a good deal still left in the countryside going from Lewes to Newhaven. But it is left open as a matter of time before councils decide they want rid of these historical defences for ever. And then a bit more of our fairly recent History is erased forever! :???

Looking at your picture, :???would it not be easier when the building is demolished all round this box. To cut all around the base :???& lift the whole thing with strops through the Gunport & rear doorway/ entry point!

This could then be loaded easily with a hydraulic Hiab/ Atlas crane onto the back of a an HGV.

Just a thought.

Access may be visible once the house is demolished. (It's more than likely inside at the rear) they usually bricked up the doorways to prevent people entering them. You could wack out the bricks with a slegehammer!

I wish you well with your brave venture. :thumbsup:

Mike.

Edited by Marmite!!
Quote tags

Hi Paul,

Good luck, mate.

Let us know how you get on.

The centurion Tank that once graced Eastbourne's seafront has been saved, and from what I understand, is to be restored. It is still in the sussex area. :)

All the best,

Andy

Excellent news on the Cent Andy! It is an important EARLY variant Too.

Can you elucidate on where/who is restoring it?

I restored a few Rifles for that Museum Free Gratis as I couldnt bear to see examples with missing componants & rusting away from lack of care & Knowledge. They also had a Ferret MK2/3 sitting inside on the front ramparts. I watched it gradully rust & rot to the point of a wing falling off & everything hatchwise seize up!

It had the scarce external fire extinguisher handles on it too.

BOTH sets of smoke dischargers uncut.

Such a shame, as the Cent & Ferret were restored & driven into position originaly. I offererd to mantain the Ferret for them years back when I lived in Eastbourne. But they werent interested! Can you belive that!

Museums..........:???

Mike :cry:

Edited by ferretfixer

• 1 month later...

So. today I met Rachel from the West Pier trust and donned my helmet and trusty caving light and opened the metal doors to the underpier bird poo emporium! ha.

Rachel was not keen on the dark and the pigeons so I was give a quick point in the general direction and I was asked how long I would like.. I said I'll be around 30-40minutes.

So off I went into the dark with my eyes adjusting to the jagged shapes and acro's proping up the wooden floor above.

I was suprised by the amount of the original Pier metal work has been stored from the collapse, some very ornate beams and works. Destine for restoration and museums.

I soon found the entrance and was suprised that it was fairly clear of rubbish and in good condition seeing its location.

I shall now post some pictures and diagrams..

I have more pictures. I shall post them soon. I hope this gives an idea of the structure and my diagram makes some sense!

Any questions please ask..

Also Im trying to work out how it could be moved. But all I could think is to remove the south and east walls as the rest I do not think could be cut out. If that was a case and the museum (newhaven) would be interested I would be looking for help and a low loader to move it 10miles... If anyone with bigger kit would like to join forces in HMVF tradition.. it would be voluntary but for a cause that should not be forgotten in our hearts! Or another stretch of coast is bare from all structures of the war.

I have spoken to the Trust again and It seems they will help as much as they can..

It seems from more research that the pillbox was built first and the second room/structure was built joining as an Anti-Aircraft battery ammunition store. The battery was located the other side of the Pier(demolished in 1946)

I have also been in talks with Newhaven Fort who seem very interested in taking ownership of the Pillbox or worse case the front wall with the loop hole in.. so this monument is not lost forever.

So now I have to speak with the Trust some more and make plans and mul over the logistics of movement of the structure

Monday is my meeting with the Developer/demolition MD. Seems like a nice chap and as its a touch of good luck they are interested in history as well! and WW2 Emplacements!

So I shall find out if its plausable to cut the box away.. or at least the front wall..

Fingers crossed