Hi all!

mac_xpert

Hello - I stumbled across this fine forum while browsing the web for armoured vehicles for sale. I'm looking to buy myself a 432, BMP, Abbott, scimitar or 'similar'.

I hope i can get lots of advice on what to look out for, what i can and can't afford and maybe get pointed in the direction of those with suitable vehicles for sale!

I've had a passion for 'tanks' for too long and having been on several driving days, i just can't resist owning one.

Good to meet you all and maybe i'll see some of you face to face at future shows!

Matt.

A good measure on tracked vehicles to see if you have the ability to keep one maintained , I think is the ratio of running time or play time to maintenance time .As in for every hour you run a tracked vehicle how much time do you need to spend working on it .

Perhaps those member who own a tracked vehicle can fill in the details on the chores that they have to do to theirs such as track adjustment , greasing , track and running gear inspection .mileage of tracks and or track pads .

I currently run a trackcar that takes WAYYYYYY more time to maintain and develop than it ever sees on the track, so i'm used to getting my hands dirty and spending lots of time mainting and developing vehicles.

So what i'm initially interested in, is the parts costs of mainiting something like a 432. My time and labour is free, and consumables like greese etc are not a big expense. What i'd like to know is how often you have to spend 'proper money' on a vehicle.

I guess its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but what are the major expences? If i'm buying, should i look for a vehicle that has had certain things done? Are there any vehicles that are just more expensive to maintain than other, similar vehicles?

Ohh - so many questions! Thanks already for your kind / helpfull comments!

Matt.

Matt,

It all comes down to what you intend to do with the vehicle, and what condition you bought it in. For example if you were running one every day, then you would need to spend longer with the grease gun and doing oil changes/running gear inspection. If you only plan to use it every so often, it's not too bad. Obviously the more you run something, the more problems you'll have, and the more money it will cost.

For example when I restored my Sabre I fitted a new set of track, sprockets and wheels. Every now and then I will randomly check a few wheel/track nuts for tightness and give it the once over to check for pads with problems etc. I know everything is in good condition as it's only done 100 or so miles since it was all fitted, and I know I fitted it. If I bought a vehicle from someone else, I would be a bit more cautious. The last thing you want is something flying off at high speed.

I spend more money on bits I don't need than on bits I do need. For example I have spare engines, wheels, filters, anything which can go wrong or wear out. I also read lots of comments from people who say tracked vehicles require loads of maintenance etc. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think you'll spend any more time working on say a CVR(T) than any other armoured or large vehicle. A 432 is bigger and heavier, so maybe it'll take you a bit longer, but it's certainly a lot less work than keeping something like a Stalwart on the roads.

Major expenses are powerpacks/engines and track. Wheels aren't that expensive, but you need lots of them as they can and will fail at any time. FV432s seem to have problems with the rear idlers breaking off, I've not seen this myself but the guy who bought my 432s has had it happen. Obviously something to check if you're going to buy one.

The bottom line is, buy the manuals, read them, and do what it says as often as it says, and you should be ok!

Chris

Chris, It's interesting that you suggest the CVR(T) is lighter than the 432. I'd assumed that because of the turret it would be heavier - shows what little i know!

I've been looking at these too, as they are a bit more of an interesting prospect with the main armament etc. What is the current market price for a CVR(T)?

Matt,

The FV432 is approximatley twice as heavy as the FV432. It is wider, taller, longer but the main difference is the maerial. The CVR(T) is made from an aluminium alloy, whereas the FV430 is made from conventional steel armour.

The CVR(T) has many advantages over an FV432 other than being smaller and lighter. They are quite a bit faster out on the roads, the components are easier to handle, and they are easier to look after. In order to properly service an FV432, the pack has to be lifted out of the vehicle using an overhead crane. In a CVRT the engine deck and drivers bulkhead can easily be removed by 2 men, which gives access to everything you need to work on.

The bonus of a Mk 2 FV432 is that you can run it on petrol/diesel mix, which does make them cheaper to run!

Market price is going up all the time. Sabre, which is a Scorpion hull with Fox turret are around the £20k mark fully restored, a Scorpion is around £25k. There are a number of unrestored Belgian Scorpions and Scimitars on the market, these are £12500-15000+vat, and need a LOT of work. Spartan, Sultan and the other variants are not quite as expensive, expect to pay around £10000 for one that's up and running, maybe more for a nice one.

Chris

Edited by sirhc

When the price of the unrestored vehicle is almost the price of a restored one, yes I'd think so! The ex -Blelgium ones have stood outside for 10 or so years, I have not seen them myself but have heard some horror stories...