Buried Jeeps

Great War truck

Fantastic pics. Who would have thought that places with so many WW2 vehicles still existed?

It looks like the Half Tracks came back from Israel. Is there any point in buying so many of these things and then leaving them to rot away outside. Some of these things will soon be unrestorable, surely it would be better to try and get rid of them as soon as possible, or am i missing some business trick here. A fully restored GMC seems to go for between £3,000 and £4,000. It makes some of these uneconomical to restore.

Tim (too)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic pics. Who would have thought that places with so many WW2 vehicles still existed?

It looks like the Half Tracks came back from Israel. Is there any point in buying so many of these things and then leaving them to rot away outside. Some of these things will soon be unrestorable, surely it would be better to try and get rid of them as soon as possible, or am i missing some business trick here. A fully restored GMC seems to go for between £3,000 and £4,000. It makes some of these uneconomical to restore.

Tim (too)

Guest matt

Hi Tim,

I think you would have a job finding a fully restored CCKW for £3000 to £4000. a full set of new bar treads is £1000 to £1500.

Matt.

Guest matt

Hi Jack,

Yes the rear bodies are post war and all those trucks have gone through at least one post war rebuild. If I were to buy one I'd basically look at it as a rolling chassis with cab and maybe some useable front sheetmetal.

It would be interesting to go through all the chassis numbers and see if there are any interesting ones there.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I once asked an old G.I who was stationed at Warton near Blackpool during ww2 what had happened to jeeps etc at the end of the war ,and he told me some where buried at the end of the runway(this had been a rumour round here for years ) and in fact he had asked about buying a plane after the war for him and his brother to set up a crop spraying business back in the us, he told me the people in charge said no and actually pulled the planes apart with trucks!.(there is a book around regarding the americans in warton , it is very good,with some really nice pics of trucks)

When I was Editor of 'Windscreen', I read a story in the Daily Telegraph about a lake that was being drained for building work near Windsor, and they found an Armoured Jeep and stacks of ammunition. The article gave the Police Officer concerned. I contacted him, wanting a story for 'Windscreen', but the truth was that all they found was a handful of bullets some GI had thrown away during an exercise in WW2. The Jeep story had come from a local who only thought it was there.

Interesting stuff about buried jeeps etc. About 10 years ago several Merlin engines were unearthed near Keele Staffordshire apparently still crated and re buried under what is now a housing estate. Under part of RAF Cosford airfield is a Handley Page Heyford. Photographs do exist of it being buried Apparently under the shopping complex where the Alvis factory once stood is the under groung store that was filled in with military vehicles still in it. Anybody in the area confirm it.

A vet we where talking to only last Sunday told us of the Liberty ships in 1945 arriving off Singapore and unloading Jeeps, Jimmies Dodges etc and he loaded them onto barges took them out to sea and using one vehicle to push the others into the sea! And enviromental folks moan about us causing polution now.

While I am on anybody hear about the 8F frieght loco's reputedly still in storage in the UK. Certainly several million ton's of coal are in store.

Phil P

along similar lines,after the channel islands were liberated a large amount of ammo and weapons needed to be disposed of so they were loaded onto ships and dumped into the sea at Hurds deep just off Alderney,the large coastal guns were simply dropped over the cliff at Les Landes Jersey and 17 gun barrels can still be seen there to this day.I also remember reading about a lake in Guernsey which in 1976 got very low and exposed quite a few German weapons ,all these examples are well documented so it goes to show not all these stories are pure fantasy.

Nigel

Theres a story at the IWM about a truck being found when they built the land warfare hall at Duxford. The truck had been buried when the Americans vacated the site, and had rusted away to almost nothing.

Its probably worth a timely reminder that not everything that's buried on airfields is as nice as a jeep, truck, or sherman tank though. There's probably a lot of buried munitions and other assorted nastiness out there, so if anyone's heading out with a metal detector, be careful.

When the desalination plant at Corbiere was built, a pond produced about about 1/2 ton of various small ordinace, and a couple of miles of barbed wire. Photos of the sort of stuf cleared. Anyone have an idea about the vehicle?

is that a fuel storage tank in the halftrack picture similar to the one on display at La Vallette military museum in Guernsey?

Nigel

Re Heyford at Cosford. It apparently crash landed and is possibly under the married quaters, though near the 'fire dump' has also been suggested. When the Aerospace Museum Society was formed some ..... years ago, there was some talk about doing a dig but as no definate spot could be identified it never happened.

Phil P.

(ex) Aerospace Museum Member 51. Hangar 529 Section Leader. Long time ago.

Gave up....to much talk and no do!!