Hi Chris,

Yes jeeps welcome and all British and US WW11 vehicles! Before the 'Yanks' arrived in Dorchester it was full of our own men - it was the home of the Dorsetshire regiment.

Just let me clarify that a bit more. We have no problems with any vehicle attending. Yes it is pre D-Day and yes puritan's could say you can't have this in the line up i.e a Chaffee or a Hellcat as they are post D-Day but it goes back to my point about FUN and keeping everything alive. And the fact that none of us were there for D-Day either... so that augment is a mute point.

We just have to be mindful that we do not have too many jeeps as we all saw in Normandy - it loses its impact.

I don't think the Puritans were there either but the purists might have a moan.....:-D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Puritans were there either but the purists might have a moan.....:-D

Oh hell, I mean god no Christ..

......I really not getting it these days. Bring on the reformation:sweat:

£15 is absolutly fine Jack, just one question though. Will it be £15 each for the cubelets?

Hi Rosie - no kiddies will be free! :-D

Once the site is done (JN's job) it will be up there but in the meantime please fire away with any questions and can you bring the 105?

- don't try and sneak Richard in as a child please :coffee:

Hi Rosie - no kiddies will be free! :-D

Once the site is done (JN's job) it will be up there but in the meantime please fire away with any questions and can you bring the 105?

- don't try and sneak Richard in as a child please :coffee:

:iloveyou: thanks darlink!

I will speak to Rich tonight about the 105, cant see any probs tbh, I mean isnt this the reason he got it!!

As far as him being a child, I hold judgement on that one! :cool2:

ok just to confirm the food will be done from a modern field kitchen not from ground fires as per ww2 specs and if anyone has been to a event that i cater for they know the food is ok

see you there

Dave I will call to catch up to see what we need to do. How many you can cook for in a sitting. But surely Pot Noodles for breakfast are OK???? (we are on budget you know...)

Doh! Now sorted so that it is readable!

Also I had a PM last night from Degsy - asking if he could bring his tractor. I tried to explain to him that it was Armour and Embarkation and NOT Farmer and Embarkation!!:sweat:

Why do I bother..........

Three possibilities here, Jacks completely lost the plot,:shake: he was dreaming :sleep:or somebody is impersonating me (highly unlikely).:-D

who says no women

need help washing up and other things

now ducking the incoming fire from rosie

Duck you had better matey!!!! I will kick your botty with my pink wellies when I see you next!!!!! :nono::nono::nono:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ok just to confirm the food will be done from a modern field kitchen not from ground fires as per ww2 specs and if anyone has been to a event that i cater for they know the food is ok

see you there

Do you want my No5 as additional burners to help ? also I can bring a 47Kg Propane bottle to help if you think you might need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my ignorance on this:??? but i am booked in with my vehicles with the Maiden Newton at war team as re-enactors, will we still have to pay the £15 each?

We have 2 MV's to bring down plus modern cars and caravans, so we will be feeding ourselves, and there will be myself, wife, 2 cadets plus in-laws, all re-enactors.

This could end up being a very expensive weekend away just for the publics entertainment!?

Sorry to sound a party pooper, but this could swing it for us not going!

Colin

Colin,

I'm not a reenactor so this is a genuine question.

Is public entertainment the only reason you reenact?

A&E will probably cost me in excess of £1500 and believe me I can ill afford it but if it wasn't for the shows content and atmosphere for us participants, I wouldn't be doing it. I'm certainly not going just for the publics benefit.

Excuse my ignorance on this:??? but i am booked in with my vehicles with the Maiden Newton at war team as re-enactors, will we still have to pay the £15 each?

We have 2 MV's to bring down plus modern cars and caravans, so we will be feeding ourselves, and there will be myself, wife, 2 cadets plus in-laws, all re-enactors.

This could end up being a very expensive weekend away just for the publics entertainment!?

Sorry to sound a party pooper, but this could swing it for us not going!

Colin

Hi Colin,

Good question and the answer is no you don't as you will be with MNaW. The will be know cost to you as you are seperate to us. On the A&E website (which will be live next week) we have a Q&A section the anwser from there is below :)

9. I am a re-enactor/living history/vehicle owner and I am booked in with Maiden Newton at War. Can I still be involved with the event?

Absolutely but we ask that if MNaW has plans for you then you need to be with them. And you will have to complete and return the Armour & Embarkation *booking forms if you would like to attend the Friday soft skin convoy and Saturdays armour event into Dorchester.

*Booking form is now an online booking form - to make it easier and more efficent for everyone. No blooming paper work for you!

Edited by Jack

Colin,

I'm not a reenactor so this is a genuine question.

Is public entertainment the only reason you reenact?

A&E will probably cost me in excess of £1500 and believe me I can ill afford it but if it wasn't for the shows content and atmosphere for us participants, I wouldn't be doing it. I'm certainly not going just for the publics benefit.

Obviouisy i dont do it just for them, but they are an important part of why re-enactors do what we do. I also do it for myself but more importantly to keep alive the sacrifice thousands of people in this country made, so we can have the freedom to "Play" with military vehicles and all the other freedoms that we enjoy in this country!

You obviously have a lot more money than i will ever have! judging by your list of vehicles that you own! i own 1 lorry and that costs a fortune along with all the other things in life!

If i had £1500 to spare, i certainly wouldn't be wasting it on moving vehicles to events!

You obviously sound like one of those people who dont like re-enactors, (probably MVT) and i find offence to your attack on my comments regarding costs, i also have a young family to support and mortgage to pay, my own personal car was bought for less than you are going to spend getting your "toys" there!"

Please tell me, why you are bothering to attend a public event, if your not bothered about the public? so you won't get any pride from the potentially hundreds of members of public looking at your vehicle!?!

Hi Colin,

Good question and the answer is no you don't as you will be with MNaW. The will be know cost to you as you are seperate to us. On the A&E website (which will be live next week) we have a Q&A section the anwser from there is below :)

9. I am a re-enactor/living history/vehicle owner and I am booked in with Maiden Newton at War. Can I still be involved with the event?

Absolutely but we ask that if MNaW has plans for you then you need to be with them. And you will have to complete and return the Armour & Embarkation *booking forms if you would like to attend the Friday soft skin convoy and Saturdays armour event into Dorchester.

*Booking form is now an online booking form - to make it easier and more efficent for everyone. No blooming paper work for you!

Hello

Thank you Jack, a sensible answer,and one much appreciated!

Sadly the other guy sound like he is from a "rich boys own club"

Colin

A working class man!

Obviouisy i dont do it just for them, but they are an important part of why re-enactors do what we do. I also do it for myself but more importantly to keep alive the sacrifice thousands of people in this country made, so we can have the freedom to "Play" with military vehicles and all the other freedoms that we enjoy in this country!

You obviously have a lot more money than i will ever have! judging by your list of vehicles that you own! i own 1 lorry and that costs a fortune along with all the other things in life!

If i had £1500 to spare, i certainly wouldn't be wasting it on moving vehicles to events!

You obviously sound like one of those people who dont like re-enactors, (probably MVT) and i find offence to your attack on my comments regarding costs, i also have a young family to support and mortgage to pay, my own personal car was bought for less than you are going to spend getting your "toys" there!"

Please tell me, why you are bothering to attend a public event, if your not bothered about the public? so you won't get any pride from the potentially hundreds of members of public looking at your vehicle!?!

Well, no offence was intended but as you have taken some anyway, I will attempt to answer you without resorting to childish accusations.

My question was a genuine one, you stated it may be too expensive ''just for the publics entertainment'', I merely asked if that was your main reason for attending.

I have been in this hobby for over 26 years and have seen it change in many ways, one of which is the increase in reenactment. I have no problem with anyones level of interest and whilst I do not participate in that side, I have nothing but respect for those who do. I have noticed some who are essentially 'playing at soldiers', nothing wrong with that as the public love a good battle! Others, the living history side go to great lengths to achieve historical accuracy for which I admire them. I have worked with both and have no problem with either.

You have no idea how much or indeed how little money I have, just because I have some nice vehicles does not mean I am a rich man. I have owned most of mine for nearly 20 years and have restored them all from wrecks. They were aquired at a time when scrap tanks were just that, scrap and were next to worthless. My Sherman for example is fully restored as a result of over 4000 hours work by myself not to mention several years finding and scrounging bits and pieces.

I don't consider £1500 a waste but it is a lot of money to me. I too have a mortgage and a young family and I discussed attending the show at length with my wife because of the financial implications. As a result it will be the only event I attend with a vehicle next year.

I am attending the event or a number of reasons. Firstly because I enjoy operating my tank in a location other than a small show arena. I also like to have the tank with other tanks and owners. I particularly wish to support the show as Jack has and will be putting in an enormous amount of work creating something unique in the UK.

I certainly do not need or desire public or indeed reflected glory.

Lastly, I am in the MVT and have been since 1983. I have never detected any anti-reencator bias but then as the Military Vehicle Trust, I do not expect to find articles in Windscreen about army underpants....

Your reply was quite offensive and seemed to be deliberately so. I do not take offence easily and certainly not when the offending is from a position of ignorance.

If you do attend A&E, I will have a drink with you hope you are less confrontational.

Regards,

Adrian

adrian i will be comming and it will probably cost about the same but mine wil be a modern vehicle due to needing reliability to get the cookhouse there

plus i will be there for most of the week not just the weekend

im not rich but as i will be doing the cookhouse for jack i think this event is worth it

i only normally do local events in the south east due to costs but this one is a exception

anyone who comes will be able to have a coffee in the cookhouse and find a warm welcome