Possible James ML Purchase

fc101daz

Hi All

I am looking for some James ML advice!I have been viewing a bike a couple of times now and although complete it does require total restoration.One thing I am unsure of is the frame number,it is ML10203?Does this make it a postwar civvy frame or is it still military?Engine number is OK.I see from Stefanos posts there could be a contract plate,if so where would this be?It needs an engine rebuild as the kickstart splines are worn and it won't hold oil so needs bushes but I'm led to believe engine parts are available?The whole bike needs detailing as things like footpegs and handlebars are wrong.There are some stays missing from the fromt mudguard.Is this kind of thing available?I'm not scared of the work as I restore classic cars for a living and the bike is VERY cheap!!!!!!!!

Your input would be much appreciated

Daren

Hi All

I am looking for some James ML advice!I have been viewing a bike a couple of times now and although complete it does require total restoration.One thing I am unsure of is the frame number,it is ML10203?Does this make it a postwar civvy frame or is it still military?Engine number is OK.I see from Stefanos posts there could be a contract plate,if so where would this be?It needs an engine rebuild as the kickstart splines are worn and it won't hold oil so needs bushes but I'm led to believe engine parts are available?The whole bike needs detailing as things like footpegs and handlebars are wrong.There are some stays missing from the fromt mudguard.Is this kind of thing available?I'm not scared of the work as I restore classic cars for a living and the bike is VERY cheap!!!!!!!!

Your input would be much appreciated

Daren

Daren,

Frame N°10203 will put the bike well into civilian production, although check if the number looks like it's been restamped because this kind of thing happened only too often. The contract plate (they were mounted on the (abbreviated) rear mudguard, just below the "fag end" rear light. Engine and gearbox spares are available from Villiers Services, whilst sheet metal cycle parts can be found from Terry Roberts Metal Magic (check my restoration thread for details). As far as I know, unlike the Flying Flea, in the ML's case there isn't a great deal to differentiate WW2 from civvy production, apart from the rear mudguard (shorter), the headlamp switch (no "T"), speedometer drive (no speedo on the WW2 ones), footpegs (folding), and a few other bits and bobs such as the petrol tank cap and handlebar lock.

Hope this is of some assistance,

Stefano

Edited by Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Yeh,that all helps thank you.I'm not really sure what to do on this one.It has been far too militarized to be returned to civvy bike already and to be honest with you a civvy one wouldn't interest me anyway.I'm not sure if I want a "pretend" military one either though.I know 99% of people would never know by the time I have finished,but would I be wasting my time?It is VERY cheap though!!!!Is my military motorcycle guru ford369 back from Normandy yet??!!!!

Daren

Hello Darren ,yes I got back from Normandy saturday night skint and knackered as usual, I think the fact that the frame number starts with ML signifies that it is indeed a military bike although I could be wrong,I will post the question on the wd motorcycle forum tonight and see if I can get any info for you ,also I think if you go into Borders bookshop in St Helier they have a copy of the bible of wartime Brit bikes BRITISH FORCES MOTORCYCLES by Chris Orchard and Steve Madden which may help,having just had a quick look at my copy it appears that the first military contract stats at frame number 11896 so this one appears earlier unless the number has been altered or misread anyway I will post the question and give you a ring when I get some info

Nigel

It appears that the first military contract stats at frame number 11896 so this one appears earlier unless the number has been altered or misread anyway I will post the question and give you a ring when I get some info

Nigel

Nigel,

Referring to the Madden & Orchard book the evaluation prototype indeed had frame N° 11896, but the production military frame numbers start at ML 2 and finish at ML 8500, with quite significant gaps along the way, which means that in fact only 6140 bikes were built during WW2. The ML prefix was maintained for the civilian version until it was phased out in 1948, when it was replaced by the Cadet (Villiers 10D engine).

thanks for the info Stefano I know just about nothing about these little bikes so am always glad to learn something new ,the only queestion this raises is that with a number as low as this one would it still have the ML prefix ,also would it not seem logical that postwar bikes with the ML numbers are late military bikes converted for civvy use when they were no longer needed to fulfill a military contract prior to civilian production restarting?

Nigel

Thank you both for all your help and replies so far.I'm beginning to think I should have it anyway and restore it as a military spec bike.It is a sweet little thing and ideal for chucking in the back of the truck to take to shows.I will try and get hold of a copy of that book.It would be nice to have a definitive answer to the frame number anyway.It comes with no registration document anyway and needs to be registered and I would like to be able to give it a legitimate date of birth!!!I am going to go and take a closer look now I am armed with more info!!

Daren

Basically, the early postwar ML's were dead ringers for the wartime ones, apart from the electrics, speedometer and rear mudguard. Fact is that the final contract for 3000 machines was reduced to 1500 because the war was drawing to an end, and if the contract had been completed the WD frame numbers would have gone all the way to 10,000, which is just shy of your frame number. A large proportion of ML's never saw active service due to the fact that the 'Flea was a shade lighter and could be dropped by parachute, and after the war these were either disposed of or returned to the factory for refurbishing to civilian spec. So whilst it is true to say that the later ML's were a bit different to the wartime ones, I reckon that the one you're looking at would have been a dead ringer for a pukka WW2 model (apart from the frame number, handlebar lock, fuel cap and footrests (maybe)). Funnily enough, the same cannot be said for the civilian Flying Flea, because there were a whole host of modifications made to the civilian bikes, which means pretty major surgery to create an accurate replica. Whether or not you restore the James to military spec or not is up to you, I know that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it, but on the other hand you're not really doing anything that a lick of maroon paint won't cure...

Greetings...

Here's a photo of my little Clockwork Mouse. I'm not too sure whether this bike was actually flung out of a transport aircraft in WWII or not, because I bought this bike off the son of the original old timer who unfortunately is no more. The bloke wanted to get rid of the old man's things since his passing and was rather glad that I was to unburden him by taking this piece of 'junk' out of his yard.

It's taken me about eight months to do up, and something tells me I ought to have picked up the olive drab paint at the hardware shop. In retrospect, it's good I didn't as military colours are banned on private vehicles here in India, irrespective of their history and getting stopped every 5 feet by a constable is no fun at all.

There was no provision for the speedometer, the petrol tank cover was missing when I brought the bike home and the foot-rests fold in. So shhot me, which model do I actually have - a civvie or the war veteran.

JAMES.jpg

Thanks a tonne for the pat on the back, guys. Stefano, thanks for the numbers. I'll have to check because, here I am, at office, trying to work and the James is at home! Ha! I don't think the boss would mind though, he loves old motorcycles and adores the Vespa I built for him! Snickers wickedly!

Since I'm now all fired up with enthusiasm, here are a few pics of my Brit oldies. The AJS is a civvie 1954 model but I'm sure you guys wouldn't be averse to me putting up a photo of it here.

Cheers!

Kyle.

dsc_0004.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

The vast majority of ex-WD bikes have spent most of their life in civilian colour schemes. They're now being bought up and painted green in huge numbers. It seems a shame in some ways that this aspect of post-war history could become quite uncommon.

Nortons are pricey here too but of course the side-valves are pulled up by the price of the sporting models.

Huge quantities of Norton 16Hs were sent to India prior to 1939. At some points the India Office was taking more than the British War Department. They often had features which were only later to become standard on the WD models.

I've never seen an India Office Norton with upswept exhaust and rear mounted air filter. I wonder if any survive ?

Well, it seems that more M20s were sent down to India as compared to Ariels, Nortons and Enfields. The number of M20s that have survived here in India certainly far exceeds the 16Hs, or at least that is what appears to be the case.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Thank you very much for all your help and advice about the bike.I did buy it in the end and pick it up tomorrow.I think it will be a great little project.When I went back to look at it it does look as if the frame number has been added to at some time!!! The ML 102 part is all on a level with very even spacing in between, the 03 at the end is lower and squashed up together.It's hard to tell until I take the paint off, but the two 0s seem to be a different typeset!!

It will be easier to have a good poke around with it when it is back here and I will post some pics when I can.

Thanks again for all your help

Regards

Daren

Hi Nigel,

Yeh,it has been a while since I rode the Ducati so it might be a good way of breaking me in gently!!! As far as ready for November you haven't seen it yet have you?!!! Would like to get the engine done so it was possible to ride it round a field by Weymouth next year although I do have another few jobs to do as well!!!!!!!

See you soon

Daren