Replica Schwimvagen...

mark m uk

Thanks guys, they really are very fine comments indeed.

And especially from Adrian - if ever there were an expert when it comes to metal, - Thank you.

Oh, and BTW, less of the 'brickie' remarks - our Mr Churchill was a brickie and look what happened to that dreadful little painter that underestimated him :D

Now for a little update on the replica.

After due consideration regarding the final painting, I deceided on a camoflauge scheme.

Yep, the famous - or infamous (depends on what team you were batting for in the mid 40's) 3 colour 'Normandy'. Used by the bad guys in western Europe in the summer and fall of '44.

This is the scheme, as shown here on a fantastically restored genuine typ166 from the UK. - I just love this little truck.

vinceabbott166.jpg

And 'modelled' here

camoSchwimmwagen.jpg

And my effort to copy that scheme.

my166017.jpg

my166022.jpg

my166028.jpg

my166033.jpg

myreplicaschwim003.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good.

What is ETA on finish and on the road?

Like to seefor real.

Mike

Thanks again guys.

I really expect to be at Beltring, and I would really like to be able to report by then that it is seaworthy :D

So, fingers crossed, god willing, and with a tail wind - I may just have it ready to float in a couple of weeks time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great comments guys,

I'll come over for a look at Beltring.

Be great to meet you - Not sure what days I can make it this year, but I have lent the replica swimmmer to a mate of mine, so that will be there all the time.

mg34033.jpg

mg34035.jpg

mg34036.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys once again for the wonderful comments. I really appreciate the enthusiasm.

Yesterday I gave the beetle/schwimm a trial. Took it to deepest essex, drove cross country for a while, and have to report that the off road capability was fantastic. Then tried to reverse into the river (ready for a quick tow out if it all went wrong) The reeds and bottomless mud in the first location made it difficult to even get to the water. However, I eventually found a better spot in the river, but first went home and made a ridgid tow bar for my 4x4 Dodge truck. This enabled me to push the VW backwards into the water to see if it would float, and check for leaks. The rear end just started to float and no leaks, but the tow bar was too short to go further. This emboldened me to try and get it further into the water. My son was real keen to make the maiden voyage so I let him gently reverse into the water. As the front wheels were about half submerged, The water gushed in! - so Joe drove out quickly ........I took it home and found that I had forgotten to weld up some bolt holes in the front chassis cross member that were used to mount the old beetle body ...........

So, They were welded during the afternoon, ready for another try another day - I hope in the next few days

reservoirdogs005.jpg

reservoirdogs003.jpg

reservoirdogs010.jpg

Does that mean that , at the moment it is a NoSchwimmwagen?

I wisch you would schtop taking the pisch :D.................maybe it is a schinkwagen

Whatever you call it, it is not a schuccess at the preschent time. I schertainly hope to get it schwimming schomtime schoon.

....................Schorry TD, thisch reply wasch a bit child...............isch :D

SD KFZ 234 next????:-)

Nope, next job is a VW camper van for the Kids to enjoy, followed by my real VW166 Schwimmer.

The next replica project is formulating in my head, I may have to put together a small dedicated team of enthusiastic amatuers. I have been researching, making enquires, drawing plans, etc. nothing is certain yet -

but I do rather fancy a Tiger :D

Nope, next job is a VW camper van for the Kids to enjoy, followed by my real VW166 Schwimmer.

The next replica project is formulating in my head, I may have to put together a small dedicated team of enthusiastic amatuers. I have been researching, making enquires, drawing plans, etc. nothing is certain yet -

but I do rather fancy a Tiger :D

Bring it on, dude!!! I would love to see this. It took michaelangelo 13 years to paint the cistine chapel. So the Tiger will take a while :-).

Bring it on, dude!!! I would love to see this. It took michaelangelo 13 years to paint the cistine chapel. So the Tiger will take a while :-).

how about a Maus!!! hell of a challenge me thinks!!!!

Mark