Replica Schwimvagen...

mark m uk

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Mightily impressed here, have you sorted out a venue for the debut big muddy windup plunge yet?

Or maybe your handiwork has turned out way too nice for that plan now!

Thank you - there is still a lot of work to do as yet - the seals around the axles etc. I can't do tat until I sort out the oil leaks - there are many, and the engine runs dreadful.

But, it will go for the muddy plunge - it certainly is not too nice for that ! - That was the whole idea.

Thanks again, and thanks to you too Texas !

Excellent work.

As a former Beetle owner good luck with the oil leaks. I found the rocker covers were the worst. Could never get mine to seal properly, Changed the clip on ones for expensive alloy ones which bolted on via a threaded nut on the rocker fixings. All it did was make two more points to leak from.

They normally run OK after a bit of a tune up (mine still ran with a snapped crankshaft).

You may get some heat build up causing fuel vaporising in the mechanical pump. I had this issue and had more ventilation. Cured it with an electric pump (MG Midget size).

Look forward to seeing it finished.

Mike

Excellent work.

As a former Beetle owner good luck with the oil leaks. I found the rocker covers were the worst. Could never get mine to seal properly, Changed the clip on ones for expensive alloy ones which bolted on via a threaded nut on the rocker fixings. All it did was make two more points to leak from.

They normally run OK after a bit of a tune up (mine still ran with a snapped crankshaft).

You may get some heat build up causing fuel vaporising in the mechanical pump. I had this issue and had more ventilation. Cured it with an electric pump (MG Midget size).

Look forward to seeing it finished.

Mike

Thanks Mike, this is the first VW I ever owned and I really do appreciate the insight as to function and failings. thanks for taking the time to reply so positivly, and so usefully.

Thank you - some very kind comments. I really do appreciate it.

I hope that in a short while, if all goes well I can link to a movie of some trials !

Thanks again guys - especially those that have been a constant source of encouragement.

Watch this space. Regards Mark.

I can't but fall in with the rest of the guys: What a fantastic achievement to have built that Schwimmer!

Have you considered making this full time and sell replica MV'sd to people with the funds but without the skills?

Wishing you a Happy Easter.

Live long - and prosper...

Goran N

Sweden

I can't but fall in with the rest of the guys: What a fantastic achievement to have built that Schwimmer!

Have you considered making this full time and sell replica MV'sd to people with the funds but without the skills?

Wishing you a Happy Easter.

Live long - and prosper...

Goran N

Sweden

I seond that.

I'd love to have one if I can afford it.