Replica Schwimvagen...

mark m uk

First a test drive - it is really very good cross country, runs nice and very comfortable ride. :D

Something went wrong...

Then up to Norfolk broads for a water test - still not brave enough to do it without a rope attached. I did have a guy on the shore that was instructed to keep the rope tight so as not to get dragged into the prop. Also, if things went wrong, we would have a line ready to take a chain out.

Anyway, forgive the excitement.......and that broad Suffolk bumkin accent ;)

Something went wrong...

It all went very well, so I look forward to having a good untethered trip along the river next time :D

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all very much indeed for the wonderful comments.

From start to finish, the seemingly limitless amount of enthusiasm has helped this project along.

You guys know the value of sharing practical advice and information, and it seems you also fully appreciate the power of encouragement. Thank you.

Yes, I am looking forward to Beltring and meeting some of you chaps.

reserve3.jpg

I am ashamed to admit that I only picked up on this thread today.

That is just pure skill and craftsmanship.

My hat is off to you for such an excellent project.:red:

regards,

djbe.

Great to meet you at Beltring Mark.

Yes folks, I have seen it and really is very very good indeed..

Thank you, It was a real pleasure to meet you too - I enjoyed our chats.

look forward to seeing that film you shot posted up.

Very best wishes, Mark.

I saw this in the metal at War & Peace. It's very impressive. Espeacially as my cousin whom I met up with at the event now has a genuine Schwimvagen that I'd been pouring over just previously. He too said what a good copy it was. :-)

I saw this in the metal at War & Peace. It's very impressive. Espeacially as my cousin whom I met up with at the event now has a genuine Schwimvagen that I'd been pouring over just previously. He too said what a good copy it was. :-)

Thank you smiler - that is a very generous comment to make.

I could harly believe the posative reaction that the little replica had - numerous offers to buy had to be turned away. I think I may have to make some more . . . . . watch this space,

Thanks again, regards Mark.

I wish I had the patience to even learn and develop the skills involved in such a build. I was with the judges when we saw it and they were enthusing about it. Top job!

Now, have you ever considered making a schwimer version of a Type 2 Campervan? :D

My old bus used to do a good impression of a gold fish bowl collecting and keeping water on the inside as opposed to the outside. :-D

• 5 months later...
Thank you smiler - that is a very generous comment to make.

I could harly believe the posative reaction that the little replica had - numerous offers to buy had to be turned away. I think I may have to make some more . . . . . watch this space,

Thanks again, regards Mark.

So...making more?

I wish I had the patience to even learn and develop the skills involved in such a build. I was with the judges when we saw it and they were enthusing about it. Top job!

Now, have you ever considered making a schwimer version of a Type 2 Campervan? :D

My old bus used to do a good impression of a gold fish bowl collecting and keeping water on the inside as opposed to the outside. :-D

Funny you say that - here are the preliminary sketches of what I have been dreaming up.

The initial calcalations of weight displacement ratio lead me to believe the water line will be about three inches under the fenders - that is after I drew the side bouyancy tanks (MKIII), but without taking into account the floatation tyres. I took a guess they will look after themselves and neither contribute or have a detrimantal effect.

The MKII version, was the 'troop carrier' version with the roof removed and a canvas covered role frame.

Your thoughts boys.

schplittwagen.jpg

schplitwagenfloats.jpg

Edited by mark m uk

Mark,

Very creative! I'm sure there would be a buyer for such a "folly".

How about using your skills to recreate some of the early VWs or Schwimmer prototypes?

Your thoughts please :D

Hanno

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40119[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]40120[/ATTACH]

Wow - never seen that 'square' prototype befor :shocked:

That is a stunning picture. I have plans to make a 128 replica next, not exactly a prototype, but a rare beast and a proper challange.

Thanks for posting those pictures.