WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

• 3 months later...

Did find this nice picture. It was taken here in the collery housing estate in the Netherlands at 500 meters from my house. In WW1 they had the estate surrounded with barbed wire and they interned fled Belgian soldiers in there. I assumed first that the car was a Dutch army Spijker. But as the officer turned out to be Belgian. We started searching and the car is an Belgian build Germain. So it even might be a Belgian staff car... I think i should investigiate the story a bit further.

germain.jpg

Edited by Citroman

• 1 month later...

This nice pic turned up on the Citroen truck forum. The british tank with german crosses on it. The french did paint the protruding edges of the wreck white for "road security" 😉

The strange thing is that seen the after 1935 traction this wreck must have been laying there for a while.

4114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's great Marcel. Thanks for that. Great to her it running. It sounds like ours but a bit of a different tone. Probably rattles a great deal with all that armour plate.

The vehicle has been kept in pristine condition since it was acquired; the major hurdle in its restoration involved replacing portions of the carburetor last summer.

The restoration team's first challenge was to track down a service manual.

"I had no documentation, mechanical documentation, on this," said Michael Miller, the War Museum technologist who led the restoration team. "A museum, a private auto museum in the States, their curator generously sent me a photostat of a beautiful 1916 manual."

Well they should have googled Autocar, found this forum and we could have helped them out. We wrote to them a while back asking what the chassis number is (it is on the rear cross member) so we could see if our Autocar was from the same batch as theirs. But they couldn't find it. Since then we have dated ours to 1918 so ours is almost certainly one of the WD water tankers. Would have been nice to get a photo of both of them together, but it would be a bit of a logistics exercise:

45824308_10217948207723629_6792989110794452992_o.jpg

DSCN3447.JPG

Edited by Great War truck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Bill said:

Thanks Marcel. Great find!

Did you notice at the end of the film where the Autocar was reversing into the building, the rear end of an FWD lorry on the left hand side? Another survivor!

Steve  :) 

I think that it is a post war Kitchener survivor painted up to look military.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob,  do you know where this liberty is ? or any other details ?  looks mechanically complete, just needs chassis repaired or a replacement chassis, it looks to be a series 2,  but has some electric lights mounted up front,

thanks for posting,  mike.

Mike  it  is  in  new  york  a bit  far  for you  mate! I  could use  the  spotlight  bracket  but  i  am  not   buying  a  another  truck  for  a  bracket.    I  told  a  friend  of  mine  about it   a  few  weeks  ago  he  has  a  liberty  that   needs   something  and  the  tank   would  be perfect.  Not  sure  if  he  ever  followed  up   The  seller  had  no  idea  how  much  he  wanted  for  it last  I  heard