How Many casualties

Topdog

Why would you want to know ???????????????

HAVE SOME RESPECT.

LETS KEEP THIS FRIENDLY PLEASE...IT IS A DELICATE SUBJECT AND GOD BLESS THE LAD. BUT LET'S STICK TO AN AUTOPSY OF W & P 2009 ONLY PLEASE...

MB

Moderating with a smile.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find it was 2 young lads in broad daylight, who were indeed re-enacting the Cockleshell heroes. I believe it was out the back of the Americas field on the Medway. There were people on the banks. One lad had his kit on the canoe, one on his back. The canoe went over and the latter was gone, to be found a good while later by search teams.

A tragic accident and loss, which as ever shows how dangerous life can be?

Thats true and that is why I removed Mikes post as it wasn't very sensitive.

Why would you want to know ???????????????

HAVE SOME RESPECT.

Another person determined to make an argument:stop:

The whole idea of this thread is to highlight any accidents that have happened at the War and Peace show, its not disrespectful it was a question - I passed no derogatory comment. + It had already been posted (I hadn't seen the post).

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

At the time of your posting Jack hadnt asked to stick to 2009 i dont have a problem with your post.He probably just found out the patten camshaft he fitted for beltring has gone round allready.:rofl:

At the time of your posting Jack hadnt asked to stick to 2009 i dont have a problem with your post.He probably just found out the patten camshaft he fitted for beltring has gone round allready.:rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I overheard a couple of aeronauticaly knowledgeable types saying that because one of the types there had twin engines it was safer so OK to overfly the crowd.........:shocked:

Oh yes and there where a couple of uniformed types letting their small kid practice with his new BB gun in the bit by the bridge to Americas, he was shooting towards the back of the burger bar

and the Lancaster has four big engines and still does t/ cant :confused::confused::confused:

I was on the western desert living history display almost opposite the showers and witnessed some unbelievable stupidity. The two which stick in my mind were a young kid on a small quad bike who got between the tanks as they lined up and moved forward (the tank marshalls had left once tanks formed up. As the tanks moved forward this kid followed then buzzed off one of the lanes only to rejoin between another two tanks. Crazy, as the tank drivers would not see him. The other one was a very young child riding his plastic electric quad up the main arena road in the early evening with all the traffic that comes out at 6pm going around him (he was going against the traffic). This child had a dummy in his mouth!! That young! I looked around for parents but saw no one within 20-30 yds.

Nigel

The one we followed was the idiot (a reenactor) on a push bike holding on to the side of a halftrack driving through the public from the arena all the way to the main road, he, the driver & other reenactors in the halftrack should of known better.. & the amount of tracked walkers we saw just walking in front of the armour & oblivious of what was going on behind them... one young lady last year was sending txts as she was walking a large piece of armour:shake:

Dragging it back to a non-helicopter related point.....

All was peaceful at the lower end of Big Monktons - didn't even hear the Barmy Army Party (although those hippies in the next field were noisy on the 17th and 18th). I did hear the USO lot on the Sunday night and, earlier in the week someone was playing some redneck rubbish quite late but nothing that defeated the sleep inducing 'good dinner and a beer or three'!

Traffic gripes....

My son (14yrs) drove the 101 every day prior to the show opening, with me sat alongside him. On the Wednesday he chauffered me to the shower block at 0730 and I was asked by a marshall to stop allowing him to do so as the show was officially open, which I did.

Although I didn't object to the request - perfectly reasonable - I can't help thinking that it's the unaccompanied ones screaming round unsupervised on quad bikes that really needed controlling. Someone should at least point out that we drive on the left in this country, a 101 could make a very colourful smear out of a kiddie on a quad (not as colourful as an OT admittedly:))!

I would hate to stop anyone having fun - it is after all a big field and perfect for kids to have a go away from the road, but in a supervised manner surely? I am, of course, assuming that people care what their kids are doing....

Am now donning tin helmet and waiting for someone to point out that my son shouldn't have been driving at all, regardless of supervision - but someone's got to be the first to admit it!

I think you'll find it was 2 young lads in broad daylight, who were indeed re-enacting the Cockleshell heroes. I believe it was out the back of the Americas field on the Medway. There were people on the banks. One lad had his kit on the canoe, one on his back. The canoe went over and the latter was gone, to be found a good while later by search teams.

A tragic accident and loss, which as ever shows how dangerous life can be?

Just to put the record straight it was evening getting dark,There father still comes to the show Terry Elliott runs the Dance and music old time DJ.They werent part of the show as such,you cant stop people being silly.Its sad when it goes wrong.Everyones posting about the silly things they saw no ones saying what they did about it .Sorry speak up you did what?

Am now donning tin helmet and waiting for someone to point out that my son shouldn't have been driving at all, regardless of supervision

OK I'll go first... did he have Insurance then?? RTA applies on the site...

I must admit when they asked me what i was waiting for at the lights ,xmas,i replied ,for you to get the .... out the way of the lights so i can see them ,was priceless.

OK I'll go first... did he have Insurance then?? RTA applies on the site...

Can you choose when private land is covered then? And can you then choose not to be covered?

Seems a little convenient to me!

In a field where kids were driving round on MV's, quads and mopeds - and for that matter, how many of the adults have insurance for all these things - I can't see that some supervised driving practise makes a huge difference. He's old enough to compete in off-road trials events after all.

I can hear my Mum now, 'two wrongs don't make a right!'

Can you choose when private land is covered then? And can you then choose not to be covered?

Seems a little convenient to me!

In a field where kids were driving round on MV's, quads and mopeds - and for that matter, how many of the adults have insurance for all these things - I can't see that some supervised driving practise makes a huge difference. He's old enough to compete in off-road trials events after all.

I can hear my Mum now, 'two wrongs don't make a right!'

Any event where public have access (Exhibitors count as public too) then the RTA applies at all times & as such you must have third party offroad liability. All quad bikes should have a pass, when getting a pass you sign to confirm that the rider is insured.

You may think it doesn't do any harm but what happens if he has an accident?

I can't see that some supervised driving practise makes a huge difference

That's the problem, if everyone has the same attitude things will never improve...

Martin my angle on this is its a military vehicle event thats expanded into re enactors and the like.I rode around on a bike in the americas field,pedal power in the re enactors field,it was part of my display,my insurance covers me for anything,anywhere,and cost £3.000 a year.The situation we have today has come about by the management over the last ten years at least ignoring whats happened and doing nothing to prevent people bringing any contraption they like,they activlly profit by it i believe by issueing quad bike passes.i saw buggies with young kids driving they had all the right gear on but who in there right mind supplies all the right kit then sends them off around a field where vehicle movements are likely to be hazards.The list is endless and all illegal on the public highway,which this now is.

There is no reason for any of this kit to be brought to this show,it should all be stopped at the gate,but will they ,dont hold your breath.I can understand you letting your lad drive the 101 when you see whats going on around you,because it is now like that new people think its the norm and join in.If Rex wants to allow these on site

set aside another field lay out a few courses and supervised area and let the kids have fun and of course charge for it.After all this is now the Beltring carnival so why not.I just dont want to run one of them over or they me.Also there is far to many vehicle movements people driving 100yds to the bog etc.Big sign at the bridge needed.Is your journey really neccesary:rofl:The list of people i know that no longer attend because of this and the lack of security the generators all night parties is long and its a shame because many of them have very interesting vehicles.Regardless of what people say it is now out of hand and like the roman empire will fall

or turn into the Biggest Landrover and jeep show in the world,famous for its all night parties of course.I think the organisers use one of my favourite sayings.Grin and Bank it.CW.

Can't argue with anything you've said above - and having a separate area for the kids to play on their quads is a good idea (although fraught with insurance issues I suspect, who is responsible for the little tykes while they are there?)

In fact, I don't disagree with anything anybody has said I don't think. You have hit the nail on the head though, it's very hard to deny him a drive when everybody else is doing the same thing, wrong or not.

For the record (and I'm aware it's not a defense before somebody jumps on their high horse), he was never in the vehicle by himself and I have never engaged in driving round the field aimlessly (couldn't afford the fuel!). I'm pleased to say that he shows more maturity behind the wheel than many adults I saw there, but then he's not inexperienced at the wheel.

I stuck my head over the parapet for the purposes of debate - nice to see some shooting!

If Rex wants to allow these on site

set aside another field lay out a few courses and supervised area and let the kids have fun and of course charge for it.

I was thinking in the same direction for the armour and tracked.

If you see in the army how many safety precautions are taken when tracked and armour is on the move (well it is so in the Belgians army tank museum), it is so horrible what you see @ W&P!!! :argh::argh:

Tracked and armour should ALWAYS move at walking speed, guided by someone wearing HI-VI.

The movement from the fields into the arena is ""more or less" organised, but what you see happening around you after the public has gone is beyond every imagination. Everybody is taking the toy out.:nono:

I can imagine that everybody with that kind of material loves to drive it and is always looking for the opportunity to do so, but to me, it would not be a big effort for the show organisers to allow them to use the arena when the public is out.

EG:

You make one marschall responsible for it, he centralises all applications for driving in the arena. He makes a time shedule allowing 3 or 4 vehicles into the arena for 15-20 minutes. Every vehicle needs to take one marschall into the vehicle and NEEDS TO HAVE INTERCOM. Due to the time shedule, one has a good view on the movement from the fields into the arena.

To me:

- you won't have to look for voluntering marschalls to man the vehicles and organise movements.

- this is a perfect reward to the people making the effort to bring armour and tracked to the event

- roads, lanes and fields will be free of fast moving tracked and armour. This year on the America's field armour was moving above 25 MPH, with someone laying on the deck, instructing the driver, while kids were around:nono::nono:

Just an idea, but my opinion always comes at the same conclusion: the marschalls, supervision and control are gone with the public....

Just to put the record straight it was evening getting dark,There father still comes to the show Terry Elliott runs the Dance and music old time DJ.They werent part of the show as such,you cant stop people being silly.Its sad when it goes wrong.Everyones posting about the silly things they saw no ones saying what they did about it .Sorry speak up you did what?

As regards what I witnessed. We screamed at the kid between the tanks to get out of there but noticed he continued to follow tank in front then disappeared down a side road. As far as the child with the dummy in his mouth we went to the marshalls caravan on the corner but couldn't find anyone by which time this kid had gone along across the road and was speaking to some others.

Nigel

Slipped a disc on Friday, and spent the rest of the show in agony ! Still the paramedics were great (including their very loud siren) and, the pain killers were VERY strong :shake:

Some idiots on quads nearly hit my kubel when they failed to slow-down in time - why is it no-one seems to enfoce the speed limits ?

Cheers

Steve

Because those said "idiots" are mainly the guys running the show. There is a "group" that shine above all others in this respect.

Last year me and the Mrs had to contend with a kid (well early 20's) on a quad wheel spinning on the wet mud. This caused us to be covered in divits of mud and grass. I shouted at the guy to "come here", but all we were met with was lots of laughing and clapping.

This year we were walking to the NAAFI shop and nearly got run over by a Gamma Goat driving at WELL over the speed limit. The same speed limit the same guys are enforcing with their "Officials" tee shirts on.

Hypocritical to say the least.

I fell off a T34 at Beltring on the Sunday before the show and broke both my wrists. A plain and simple accident - yes, they still happen you know!! - I was probably he first of many. The W&P medics were on scene within 2 minutes and were superb and I was in Maidstone Hospital very quickly indeed. I have only the greatest of praise for the Marshalls, stall holders and everyone at Beltring who made the rest of the week such good fun.

I too have been the victim of drunken Green Goddess driving and other inconsiderate yobbery in the past, but credit where it's due - The W&P machine worked when I really needed it. I suspect the 2 two people stung in the throat by wasps (potentially life threatening apparently) would say the same!!

(and I still bought a Signal Pistol for my Ferret!)

All the best,

Peter

I fell off a T34 at Beltring on the Sunday before the show and broke both my wrists. A plain and simple accident - yes, they still happen you know!! - I was probably he first of many. The W&P medics were on scene within 2 minutes and were superb and I was in Maidstone Hospital very quickly indeed. I have only the greatest of praise for the Marshalls, stall holders and everyone at Beltring who made the rest of the week such good fun.

I too have been the victim of drunken Green Goddess driving and other inconsiderate yobbery in the past, but credit where it's due - The W&P machine worked when I really needed it. I suspect the 2 two people stung in the throat by wasps (potentially life threatening apparently) would say the same!!

(and I still bought a Signal Pistol for my Ferret!)

All the best,

Peter

Hello mate. I remember seeing you lying on the floor while the paramedics attended to you. It looked very painful. You came over and had a chat about the Ferret later in the week. We were the ones that had the Ferret under the camo shelter.:thumbsup: