Help wanted re Lister Petter Staionary engine

Hi, my name is Graham, thanks for your welcome. I am trying to help a work colleague with some research, he does not have access to the internet.

He is an enthusiastic collector of Stationary Engines, and his latest purchase would seem to have a WD history, I would be grateful if any HMVF members can pass on any knowledge or info they may have, details of the engine are:

Lister Petter 'A' type 1.5 - 3 hp

Air cooled petrol engine.

Engine No is 308695

WD Brass Plate reads:

A.M. Ref No 4F/1373

Con A 565785/43/C12C

and is marked with the "crows foot"

There is a compressor fitted to the engine. Would like to know what role the engine may have been used for, and by which service. Thanks in anticipation for any help.

I did reply on the intro page, but best to reply here:

I have Air Publication 2173B Water-Cooled Gasoline Engines for Ground Equipment. There is a Lister section in 3 chapters for Type A, AH & G2. It is dated June 1945 but A & G2 were to be issued later. Quite a lot of detail on the Type AH in the technical description, it was used on the Zwicky pumping equipment on the 450-gallon fuel trailer.

I'll post a pic, if you think it might be similar to yours.

The AM Vocabulary code 4F indicates it is for air compressors & servicing trolleys.

The Petter A series was a small air-cooled engine, the Lister A is a bigger, water-cooled engine, more often than not it was hopper-cooled.

Lister and Petter were fierce competitors until their forced merger under Hawker-Siddeley Group in the late 1970's.

The twin-flywheel Lister A was indeed used in the Zwicky fuel bowser, of which there is one in a field not a million miles from where we live. Don't know if the pump and engine are still inside.

Peter