Driving license..

Guest shane taylor

Guest shane taylor

Hi guys.

Could anyone tell me what the legal requirements of driving an MV, what can you drive on a normal license and what vehicles do you need an HGV license? Does it come down to weight of the vehicle? Could I drive a Bedford RL and GMC on a normal car license and how about tracked vehicles, is a halftrack the same as a tank?

Thanks

Shane.

Hi Shane

You can drive a large goods vehicle manufactured before 1st January 1960 on a full category B licence provided the vehicle is unladen and any trailer being towed is unladen. I am not sure about a halftrack, the definition for the licence used to specify "a vehicle steered by it's tracks" but this no longer seems to be the case, however I am sure some body will come up with an answer on this one.

Cheers

Degsy

Cheers Degsy.

So what would a Bedforf RL and a GMC 352 come under, just a normal license?

Hi Shane,

Mind if I jump in on this one? It depends on the build date of the RL, bearing in mind they were built from 1952 to 1969. Any built from 1960 onwards would come outside of the exemption. Regarding GMC 352 they are pre1945 so no problem there.

Kewelde

Hello

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to have a C1 entitlement on your licence to drive vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and made/first registered before 1960. I know you have to had a full licence since 1997 to have C1 entitlement.

To drive a tracked vehicle you need to get an H Class licence, the strange thing is you can get this on a tracked digger which is hardly the same as a fast CRV-T.

It always seem odd to me that I can drive my 1953 AEC Militant towing my 155mm FH70 Howitzer, totalling 28 tonnes and over 56ft long, on a "car licence" but to drive a modern 10 tonne Truck I need an HGV Licence.

Even more frightening, if you have a C1 licence you could legaly drive an Antar or Dragon Wagon, mind you've got to find someone to let you drive one first!

Regards

Richard Grosvenor

Ps. I've seen some trucks,such as the Foden FH70 limbers registered as a mobile cranes to get around the MOT and HGV Licence requirments, be carefull as mobile cranes are not allowed to tow trailers.

I've seen some trucks,such as the Foden FH70 limbers registered as a mobile cranes to get around the MOT and HGV Licence requirments, be carefull as mobile cranes are not allowed to tow trailers.

Hello Richard,

I think you will now find that the old loop hole of Mobile Cranes has now been tightened up, as that catagory now requires HGV licence.

regards,

Kewelde

Hi Shane

As long as the RL was made before 1st Jan 1960 you can drive it on a normal car licence,when Richard mentions a C1 licence I think he might be confusing it with a C+E licence.C1 covers vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg,C+E covers any vehicle over 3500kg with a trailer over 750kg and equates to what used to be known as a class 1 licence. Since a halftrack is steered by its front wheels and not by its tracks I don't believe you would need a H licence for it.

Regards

Degsy

Hello Again

No no, I'm sure you will find it is a C1 licence you need to drive a commercial vehicle over 7500kg built before 1960.

I can't find the issue at the moment but if you search through your old copies of Classic Military Vehicle magazine there was a large article on licence requirements. But just for a quick check have a look at the back page of the September 2005 CMV and look at the licence needed to drive a Stalwart.( in case you haven't got a copy, it's says UK Category C1, minimum age 18 )

C1 isn't a vocational licence either as I have it but haven't taken an HGV test yet.

If I can find the article in CMV I'll post the details.

Regards

Richard

Right, the article is in the October 2003 issue of CMV. Page 51

"Vehicles under 3500kg can be driven on a ordinary "category B" car licence.

At weights above this, things are a little more complicated.

If you passed your test before 31 Dec 1996 you should have a "category C1" on your licence- this allows you to drive a vehicle upto 7500kg GVW"

It then goes on to explain the 1960 exemption and how a vehicle over 7500KG GVW before 1960 can be driven on a C1 licence.

It also says if you passed your test after 1st Jan 1997 you have to take a separate test to get C1 entitlement

One of the examples given is for a Bedford RL, at 8800kg it would need an HGV licence. But a pre 1960 example could be driven with a C1 licence.

Damm I'm good! :lol:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Jack

You can drive over 8000kg if it's a commercial vehicle built before 1960

To summarise

Vehicles upto 3500kg require a "B" licence ( normal car licence )

Vehicles 3500kg to 7500kg require a C1 licence, minimum age 18

Vehicles over 7500kg require a HGV licence, unless they are older than 1960, and not used for hire or reward and used empty (other than hand tools,oil, water, etc.) then you only require a C1 licence, minimum age 18

You can tow a trailer with an "exempted" vehicle only if the tailer is unloaded or has a "permanent load" ( artillery pieces and caravans are classed as a permanent loads.

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...