Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'steering'.
Found 1 result
Tonight we tackled the last remaining problem in getting a safety (MOT for you UK folks) done prior to the new owner taking delivery of 02DA45. In our province, Ontario, when a vehicle is purchased, prior to it gaining a registration, a safety check is required to be performed and signed off on by a mechanic who holds papers in this province. I feel it is a good rule, the vehicles being held to the standards of the time of manufacture not present day. Anyhow, i'm loosing the plot a bit. With the right steering relay unit loosing oil at a reasonable rate, it was a fail for the safety, so it had to be dealt with. I consulted with a number of people while preparing to tackle it, I would like to thank, Dan Sicotte and Bill Mullholland for their learned advice. The splined shaft that connects to Pitman arm is where the leak was coming from. When we took the arm off the splines fluid poured out and the perished remains of an o ring came off. We approached the problem by tackling two fronts. First, after Bill told us about the retrofit lip seals some of them have which this one did not have, we went the O ring path. After looking at the width of the washers and the width of the bushing surface from which a leak could come from we decided to use two o rings, a smaller one snug to the splines and a larger one outside of that, two circles one inside the other. Then because of how we had seen oil coming out from the splines themselves, we used pipe dope in the splines. The washers were cleaned and a couple replaced and back on with the arm and the castellated nut and a new split pin and then back together at the tie rod below. After at least half an hour there was no sign of oil and the vehicle was rolled back onto some dry floor for a visual in the morning. Quite a simple fix really, not rocket science. Hope this helps someone R