Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'relay'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General topics
    • About HMVF & Forum Rules
    • Legislation, Licenses & Registration
    • Introductions & Welcomes
    • MV Chatter
    • Clives Corner....
    • I may be stupid, but......
    • Tell us...!
  • Vehicles
    • Blogs of MV restorations
    • Transporters & Wreckers (All Nations)
    • Lubrication, Batteries & Electrics
    • Emergency Services
    • Artillery & Anti-Tank Weapons
    • Trailers, plant and equipment
    • Pre WW2 vehicles
    • British Vehicles
    • Tracked vehicles
    • American Vehicles
    • German Vehicles
    • Russian-Eastern block-Warsaw Pact Vehicles
    • Motorcycles
    • Aviation
    • Naval section
  • Kit Chatter
    • Weapons/Accessories
    • Clothing/uniforms
  • Radio Chatter
    • American Radio Equipment
    • British Radio Equipment
    • Other Radio Equipment
  • Briefing & Debrief room for all events..
    • Future events and meetings
    • The meetings log and photobook
    • Overlord Show
    • Armour & Embarkation 2020 Friday June 19 - Sunday 21 June 2020
    • The Yorkshire Wartime Experience event 8-10th July 2016
    • Wartime in the Vale, Ashdown WW2 Camp, Evesham
    • War & Peace show.
    • Bunker Bash
    • Event forum Archive
  • Community Service
    • HMVF Classifieds
    • Heads Up: For Sale!
    • On Ebay (Classifieds)
    • Trader Classifieds
    • Storage & Transportation
    • Stolen
  • Other stuff
    • Archaeology - WW1 to the end of the cold war
    • Research Centre
    • Military Scale Models
    • Other Chatter
    • Battlefields, museums, monuments and memorials.
    • This day in history.
  • The Tank Museum
    • The Tank Museum: News & Events
  • New forum
    • A new home

Blogs

  • mick
  • Bedford MWD july 1940
  • finished C type bomb trolley
  • phoenix
  • Michael robson.

Calendars

  • Community Calendar

Categories

  • Articles

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Categories

  • Files

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


About Me


Location


Interests


Occupation


Homepage


ICQ


AIM


Yahoo


MSN


Skype

Found 1 result

  1. Tonight we tackled the last remaining problem in getting a safety (MOT for you UK folks) done prior to the new owner taking delivery of 02DA45. In our province, Ontario, when a vehicle is purchased, prior to it gaining a registration, a safety check is required to be performed and signed off on by a mechanic who holds papers in this province. I feel it is a good rule, the vehicles being held to the standards of the time of manufacture not present day. Anyhow, i'm loosing the plot a bit. With the right steering relay unit loosing oil at a reasonable rate, it was a fail for the safety, so it had to be dealt with. I consulted with a number of people while preparing to tackle it, I would like to thank, Dan Sicotte and Bill Mullholland for their learned advice. The splined shaft that connects to Pitman arm is where the leak was coming from. When we took the arm off the splines fluid poured out and the perished remains of an o ring came off. We approached the problem by tackling two fronts. First, after Bill told us about the retrofit lip seals some of them have which this one did not have, we went the O ring path. After looking at the width of the washers and the width of the bushing surface from which a leak could come from we decided to use two o rings, a smaller one snug to the splines and a larger one outside of that, two circles one inside the other. Then because of how we had seen oil coming out from the splines themselves, we used pipe dope in the splines. The washers were cleaned and a couple replaced and back on with the arm and the castellated nut and a new split pin and then back together at the tie rod below. After at least half an hour there was no sign of oil and the vehicle was rolled back onto some dry floor for a visual in the morning. Quite a simple fix really, not rocket science. Hope this helps someone R
×
×
  • Create New...