Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'leak'.
Found 3 results
Hi, Took the Ford GPW out for a spin today. When we parked up we noticed that there was quite a puddle of oil on the ground near the back of the engine. On inspection there was quite a strong drip coming from the back of the engine where the bell housing joins it (it is a bit mangled back there so there is small gap, but this is the first time it has been leaking so much) Doesn't seem to leak as fast when the engine is running... Is this going to be the Main Rear seal of the engine or something else? Thanks in advance...
So when i originality got my Mk it looked like it had a bit of a leak in the rear wheel hubs ( it was mentioned in the MOT) and the old owner said he got it fixed, well i cleaned away the old oil and it seems to be fine BUT, i got a leak from the rear axle, keeps driping,i put into the hole in the axle 1 and a half liter just before the weekend , i found on this forum a scan of 1 page from a manual stating that it takes 3 and a half liters so im happy i put some in ( its was full to the hole) Im gessing i have a old seal that is leaking, i feel the bottom and bit of material are coming off, not metal more like fiber, anyone know how to fix it......i keep trying to get a scan of a manual or parts list but im not having any luck,and as im in Iceland getting a reprint sent from vinntagemvmanuals is going to cost me a arm and a leg.... i dont even know the number of the seal i went for a run this last weekend for 200 or 300 km ( not to sure how far as the speedo and odmonitour packed in after the first 10 km of driving)staying the night in the truck (not to cold this time as summer is on the way) good fun and managed to find some good bad roads to play on not to far from the capital ive never tryed it ,but i know you can use stuff like Blue devil sealant in head gaskets and they have one for A/C and engine leaks on the seal but i cant find anything for rear axles....any of you guys know of something i could use to stop the leak easy or maybe you know the seal number or if it maybe another problem
Tonight we tackled the last remaining problem in getting a safety (MOT for you UK folks) done prior to the new owner taking delivery of 02DA45. In our province, Ontario, when a vehicle is purchased, prior to it gaining a registration, a safety check is required to be performed and signed off on by a mechanic who holds papers in this province. I feel it is a good rule, the vehicles being held to the standards of the time of manufacture not present day. Anyhow, i'm loosing the plot a bit. With the right steering relay unit loosing oil at a reasonable rate, it was a fail for the safety, so it had to be dealt with. I consulted with a number of people while preparing to tackle it, I would like to thank, Dan Sicotte and Bill Mullholland for their learned advice. The splined shaft that connects to Pitman arm is where the leak was coming from. When we took the arm off the splines fluid poured out and the perished remains of an o ring came off. We approached the problem by tackling two fronts. First, after Bill told us about the retrofit lip seals some of them have which this one did not have, we went the O ring path. After looking at the width of the washers and the width of the bushing surface from which a leak could come from we decided to use two o rings, a smaller one snug to the splines and a larger one outside of that, two circles one inside the other. Then because of how we had seen oil coming out from the splines themselves, we used pipe dope in the splines. The washers were cleaned and a couple replaced and back on with the arm and the castellated nut and a new split pin and then back together at the tie rod below. After at least half an hour there was no sign of oil and the vehicle was rolled back onto some dry floor for a visual in the morning. Quite a simple fix really, not rocket science. Hope this helps someone R