Jump to content

Chris_Collins

Members
  • Content count

    182
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About Chris_Collins

  • Rank
    Staff Sergeant
  1. Morris Tilly late model

    Next is the legs of the seats. This is made from standard 3mm x 25mm angle iron but is trimmed down to 18mm on one side so first was to cut off the excess on one side. I will do these as eight bends on the lager radius of the template and then weld them in the centre where required to get the correct shape and size. Attached Thumbnails
  2. Morris Tilly late model

    It came out exactly how I wanted it. Attached Thumbnails
  3. Morris Tilly late model

    To prepare for the seat base frame I had a piece of 2mm strip folded to the correct dimension. I ground a round edge on the top of the template to accommodate the curve of the strip of now angle. I was able to use the cross cavity to anchor clamps and supports to secure the angle and with a bit of heat worked the angle around the template. It puckered in the corner as is went which I expected and it was just a case of heating the pucker up and hammering it down. Attached Thumbnails
  4. Morris Tilly late model

    It would seem a lot of effort just to press out two seat bases but I will get more out of the die. The seat base frame is light right angle fold in 2mm steel. I will use the top template to form that angle around. Also the seat legs have the same profile as the front of the seat base and are made of 3mm angle iron. I can use the same template to form them. I have since convinced Nick to give me lessons in CAD drawing. Attached Thumbnails
  5. Morris Tilly late model

    So I cut a piece of sheet to size and gave it a go. I allowed a few extra mm all round in case the pressing pulled in slightly. It didn't seem to move at all so once it was done it was a simple matter of scribing around the top template and cutting out with tinsnips. Attached Thumbnails
  6. Morris Tilly late model

    I have to say I was very satisfied with the result. The pressing was very uniform and the lines on the underside very defined and exact. Attached Thumbnails
  7. Morris Tilly late model

    So that was the female part complete. The male part I used 25mm steel bar. The ends were rounded of in the lathe and a cross piece welded in situ in the female template. Some 10mm flat bar added to reinforce the round bar and then it was ready for a test on a piece of scrap.
  8. Morris Tilly late model

    Three 10mm template pieces were tacked together and positioned over the 5 mm piece and then clamped together. I welded small positioning tabs around the outside to locate the top template. I added loops for lifting as It was getting pretty heavy. Heavy angle iron was drilled and positioned over the templates to clamp the die together. I then drilled and tapped into the heavy plate for the bolts to secure the angle iron. My gantry allows me to move anything anywhere easily which came in handy for drilling the heavy plate. Attached Thumbnails
  9. Morris Tilly late model

    A heavy steel base was cut which had a 5mm template plug welded to it. The small pieces to fabricate the movement mechanism was also lazer cut. I got a few extras done just in case. Attached Thumbnails
  10. Morris Tilly late model

    My youngest son Nick is an engineer so I convinced him to give me a hand to make a die to press the cross into the seat base. Once I had measured it all up and worked out an idea I got him to draw some CAD plans to get some steel laser cut. Attached Thumbnails
  11. Morris Tilly late model

    I have digressed a bit to do some work on the Tilly seats. We only have one set of original seats which are virtually the same. The construction is simple formed mainly by flats and angle and straight sheetmetal. The base has a pressed cross in the centre which is the only complicated piece. There is a simple lock to allow movement of the seat. Attached Thumbnails
  12. Morris Tilly late model

    Then I remembered we had a spare set from the car which were in excellent condition. The panel on the later cars had the flutes pressed differently but that is the only difference. So these engine covers have been sacrificed to provide the inner ribs for the Tilly. Attached Images
  13. Morris Tilly late model

    More news from the House Of Neville "We have already cleaned up one set of engine side panels and after searching for several weeks I stumbled upon the second and only other set we have which one of us misplaced. Since I am typing this I blame Mr Collins. This set is from the very rusty remains we originally got from Len Watkins. Like the rest of that vehicle it has weathered badly and although the main panel is redeemable, the inner rib is very badly rusted and will not survive the sandblaster. I carefully drilled out the spotwelds and removed the rib with the intention of fabricating new ones." Bounder, cad... They were placed in a fairly visible place ands we'd no doubt wandered past the dozens of time and we'd not noticed. No matter, they're found now and on their way to being resurrected
  14. When did your wife or partner admit defeat?

    well, I'm not sure its ever been a conflict to win or lose in my case, My wife has been extremely supportive in fact she seems to be a bit of a petrol head anyway and loves cruising around in olive drab clad vehicles. It helps that she has expensive hobbies as well, Horses means first name terms with vets, shares in feed suppliers.... I actually think she'd look rather fetching in an ATS uniform (grrowl), it'd just need to come out of my pocket. Her rules are simple, no vast piles of rusty crap, and the shed needs to be pretty, no colorbond monstrosities. She's already named the Tilly, though its an easy sell, a dirty great truck might be harder. Cheers Chris
  15. Morris Tilly late model

    Hinges completed and tailgate finished off ready to paint. Attached Thumbnails
×