Jump to content

PITT24423

Members
  • Content Count

    90
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About PITT24423

  • Rank
    Lance Corporal

Personal Information

  • Location
    Mersea Island
  • Interests
    Steam/vintage

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. At this time of gloom something to brighten our day up as we have had the final event and tally up to this project we made just over £50,000 profit from the sale of the soldiers with the majority being bought by the descendants and home owners who have re erected on public space near their homes or at the homes of the war dead . The money has been divided up between the local charities and Trusts that financially supported the project at the beginning including our local branch of the Legion who get about £5k. One of event organisers for the soldiers contacted the IWM for the use of the image which was agreed and the end result I was presented with a framed copy for my efforts which I was deeply moved by . The photo was taken by the Australian Frank Hurley of Australian troops at Passchendaele who was also the photographer for the Shackleton polar expedition as a point of interest. I know several people on this forum made the journey last year to Mersea to see the soldiers in position and contacted me hence the reason for this final post to let you know the outcome.
  2. Dave is getting into self isolation and preforming his magic on the seats
  3. After several coats of undercoat we tried a top coat to see what imperfections show up.
  4. All the vehicles appear right hand drive ?
  5. Simon Webb s Locomobile has its original chains and fit in the same way with the hooks .
  6. First coat of red primer plus some white,starting to come together but still a way to go
  7. Due to the fact that all the CB chassis’s we have including the lorry have suffered from cracking with three out of the four breaking in two,we made the decision to fit Pullman bars to give some added strength this detail is featured in a couple of early photos including one posted here and have been lucky to get a set from a vast store in the West Country.Due to this detail we are holding back fitting the body to the chassis but hope to start painting in earnest asap.Waldorf and Statan successfully fitted the top deck side panels and now give a true feeling of what it’s going to look like.Just starting to think about the top handrail detail as no two photos are identical so as with the rest of the project we are using one works photo as the blue print with small and unknown details being incorporated from other photos .An original name plate appeared on a popular sales website but with the wrong chassis number this image along with another scanned repro plate think the engravers managed quite a close copy which we are really pleased with end result .
  8. Chassis all sorted which I cleaned down with a rotary wire brush in preference to sandblasting due to the ash between the steel . Top deck taking shape with Compo and Clegg testing out the seating plan
  9. Craftmaster paint have a huge colour library and have found their paint to be very good with a specific engine paint in their range. Always helpful to deal with.
  10. Chassis just about ready for paint now all the cracks welded and rotting ash replaced with new ash.Lower deck seat bases finished ready for painting ,we have added a tool box which fits under the seat as the bus lacks storage which will get fitted once painted. Dave has started on the upper deck which we are replicating from photos..
  11. To keep up with team “Gosling “ swapped the rear cross member with one from the dwindling spares dept.All bolts swapped with not to much effort ,managed to scrounge a nice piece of ash which is being machined to repair the chassis where it has rotted through.
  12. Glass fitted along with the upper deck treads.Started the process to get some period moquette for the lower deck bench seats which looks promising. Dug out all of my broken ,cut and knackered CB chassis’s .Idea being to make the correct wheelbase to suit the bus body and use up the best chassis components . Dave made up the rear step just before Christmas which will get temporarily covered with ply whilst I make the stair. Screws replaced 🥳 😉
  13. Ummmmmmm that what I said ,but indoor credit control has a different perspective with "sell something" ! Got to be careful what you wish for .
  14. Second layer of roof timber fitted, laid out the upper deck tread bars.Daves nearly finished the gingerbread beading which looks effective The upper deck steel support post is temporary to enable us to set out sides the sides as per the original Birch body as we only have a few key photos to work from.Some of the dimensions we have taken from some General bus drawings as the dimensions we have are very close between the two bodies.
×
×
  • Create New...