Selection of photos of the other goings on recently, as well as painting the cab.
First off Diesel Security. I have this paranoia that some nefarious little Creature will stuff something in the tank while I am at a show. I have heard several stories of this happening to people with disasterous results on the way home.
This is the original design with fairly easy access to the filler
And this is the modified version. I adjusted the door ages ago, but have now extended the front plate, so only way to get to the filler is to open the locker door. Now it's painted green, it looks original too. Wont stop the determined diesel thief, but does make it a good deal less accessible.
Had to manufacture a mounting plate for the rear number plate, as the original had long since rotted away
First off, make a plywood template, and cut out the tin plate to fit
Cut wire and fit to inside of folded edge
Tap over to roll in and paint in primer
Cut out hole for light unit and have a trial fit of number plate. Obviously this is the Military reg and for show use only.
Civilian number plate for traveling home just fits over the top. Note the wing nuts holding it in place
Close up of wingnut fitting.
Last bit, fit light unit and paint DBG.
Speaking of DBG, checked out the cab this morning, still looks impressive, paint has hardened off well, but I don't like the rust marks in the front bumper so I think that will get a bit of reworking. But not this weekend. I didn't fancy getting into too much work today as I'm away on holiday for the next two weeks, so just had a bit of a trial on cleaning the tank, see what works best.
Used a mixture of sanding discs and wire cup brush on the grinder. Having been extolling the virtues of Silverline brushes on another thread, I can't say the same for their sanding discs. I started using 80 grit, but the abrasive bit separates from the velcrove backing, before it has sanded very much.
Quick visit to local paint shop and picked up some 40 grit mirka discs which worked much better. Still took a couple of hours to get this it cleaned off.
Couple of coats of Bondaprimer finished the job. Took most of the day to get this far, and that tank is going to take some time to get it all cleaned off. Nice job for the coming winter months