Not sure yet but we haven't hit a show-stopper!
After brazing up the first end and giving it a clean, it looked OK. A stick and a half went into the joint and didn't come out anywhere so I think it is fine. I didn't get the clean fillet I wanted around the bottom but it will be OK.
On to the second joint. First job was to cut it to length after some very careful measuring. I was aiming to make it between size and 1/4" short so that I could add shims if necessary. Too long would be a disaster!
Father's trusty bandsaw soon made short work of it. That doesn't half save some graft!
Then flux both parts and brick up as before.
I found myself a nice stool and, using Father's biggest burner, off we went.
Flux just coming up to temperature.
Run some 455 grade silver solder.
Move the torch around the back to make sure it runs properly.
And bingo, a nice sound joint.
I did a much better job this time and the solder ran right through. Underneath the ring of flux was a nice fillet. I was very pleased and quite relieved! Each joint used a stick and a half which at £14- a stick means that each joint cost £21- to make. It isn't a cheap process but for one-offs it is very effective. I love the process, as you can tell!
Then it was the moment of truth and time to try to install the thing. First job was to insert the leathers and partially insert the bolts.
Then it was a two-man lift to get it roughly into position and knock the bolts in to take the weight. Amazingly, it was exactly the right length with no shims required. Access isn't bad but I can't sit like that for very long any more...
Dad machined the heads off the bolts and drilled them for split pins ready for me to install. There are only six bolts at each end but it is surprisingly time consuming to fit them properly.
Back end done.
And on to the front where access was more awkward.
All went well, however and we have a prop shaft.
When you turn the handle at the front, the differential turns. All we need now are some half-shafts and it will drive. Sadly, I am back at work so that will have to wait for Saturday,
One more tick in the box!