M3 Grant Rolling Restoration/Wreck

Hawk

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any sites dedicated to the M3 Grant that has been rescued from an army range and has been seen at many shows. It is the same one that is in my avatar and is in several photo's all over the site. If anyone has any info on it I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Luke

Hi Luke,

there is no website that I know of but I may be able to help.

It belongs to Carl Brown and was recovered from Pirbrite. It was the first Grant received by Britain and was used extensively for trials both during and after the war.

It's last duty was for the testing of armoured ammo bins and was stripped of paint for that trial so as not to obscure the observation of the hits with burning paint.

The majority of the damage was caused by Panzerfaust and Panzershreck weapons captured at the end of the war.

I did some of the work on the hull to get it a little more intact......

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian, very informative I have seen it at several shows and have often wondered about its history, do you know if it will ever be fully restored?

Slightly off topic- I must praise you for the amazing restoration job on your Sherman, I have seen it in the flesh and in several magazines it looks fantastic :yay: I see you have a Cromwell as well how goes that?

As far as I am aware, the Grant will be left in swiss cheese mode, because to restore it would mean creating an effectively brand new tank.

Personally, I love seeing it as it comes, full of spider webs and history. I am glad it is increasingly more mechanically sound and hope it is at Beltring.

Luke, as Mark said, it will remain externally as is though it may get more of an interior as time goes on.

Thanks for the comments re the Sherman. The Cromwell is patiently waiting in the shed! I have to finish my M3A1 scout car first. I am looking forward to doing it but it will probably be some years before it is finished.

Cheers,

Adrian

You don't purchase them because they are not for sale! Sometimes, the ranges are cleaned up for various reasons and targets become available. It really is a question of being in the right place at the right time.

Range access used to be easier but is almost impossible now.

The other point is that all the interesting stuff is, with a few exeptions, long gone.

Adrian

I cannot believe tht Army would put all of those old Shermans and Comets etc. on the ranges! Could they not just sell them to ther countries e.g Finland (Comets) instead!

The vast majority of vehicles were sold, often for scrap, soon after the war. Comet obviously lasting for some time after and was generally sold to other countries.

Many of the range targets were put out when various establishments closed down or had a clear up. That is why there were so many German tanks and prototype or limited production vehicles on British ranges.

If only someone had saved them....!

The vast majority of vehicles were sold, often for scrap, soon after the war. Comet obviously lasting for some time after and was generally sold to other countries.

Many of the range targets were put out when various establishments closed down or had a clear up. That is why there were so many German tanks and prototype or limited production vehicles on British ranges.

If only someone had saved them....!

Like the only known existing Panther F Schmalturm at Bovvy - full of holes from being on the ranges at Lulworth for decades before anybody recognised it for what it was.

Cheers nice pictures after doloading the program there is no mention of it on the actual parade display but I suppose it was still a very important British used tank!

• 5 years later...
Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any sites dedicated to the M3 Grant that has been rescued from an army range and has been seen at many shows. It is the same one that is in my avatar and is in several photo's all over the site. If anyone has any info on it I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Luke

I know this reply is a bit late but just wondered if you had seen my short video of the Tank in question moving at War and Peace 2005. I supplied the Continental R975 Radial engine powering it.

" width="644" height="390">
">Something went wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODIgpdsIL-I

And radial engine here...

" width="644" height="390">
">Something went wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xGnaqiU1I