Gaz69 the Jeepski

This is certainly Soviet, apparently dated 1965 as it is consistent with the soldiers wearing the older uniforms of the 1943 regulations which were only superseded in 1969.

Gaz69ASoviet1965.jpg

the vehicle looks pretty much as it would have left the factory with a rather shiny paint finish (through the mud) and even a suspicion of Chrome :lol: on the light fittings

Unlike the wartime Jeep or its post-war British equivalent, the Land Rover, the Gaz 69 does not seem to have been utilised that extensively as a weapons platform. The one obvious exception to this is the 2P26 of which I only know of examples in museum but none in private hands... but then who would particularly want one? ... as it is even LESS practical than a standard Gaz

2P26-1.jpg

It was intended as an anti-tank missile launcher as used by motorised rifles regiments. (The same missile system would be carried by a BTR40 in a Tank regiment). I think it was used by the Soviets too but somehow most of the photographs that have survived, show it in NVA service during the 1960s. I think the idea wa abandoned pretty quickly.

2P26.jpg

(the soldier is wearing the early pattern NVA camouflage that was gradually replaced during the late 1960s and 1970s by the raindrop pattern which flooded the surplus market 15 years ago or so)

This is a bit of an oddity in service with the Polish army and presumably prepared for a parade given the white painted tyres.

PolishGaz69A.jpg

I cannot imagine a 4 doors vehicle being ideal for this kind of conversion... It just makes things more cramped... and I can imagine the bodywork and seats getting in the way of the gunner at every beck and call. Perhaps it was only done for the parade.

Again I believe Czechoslovak:

he probably is a vicious attack dog :shock: but he looks sweet here :roll:

CzechGa69Mdog.jpg

the three jerry cans on the tailgate is a typical Czechslovack arrangement

And a cracked rear window - another standard feature on the Gaz. They break when people throw the rear flap over the top and the window hits the centre tube in the roof frame.

Thanks for all the photos and descriptions!

When I was looking to buy mine photos were as rare as hens teeth.

I am off to Cuba soon and I have seen a number of 69's in private ownership there in the past, if I see one I will try to add to the photos.

Regards rog8811

And a cracked rear window - another standard feature on the Gaz. They break when people throw the rear flap over the top and the window hits the centre tube in the roof frame.

The idea of fitting glass in canvas was not the brightest... >:( The back window of my new canvas was obviously shattered and I had flexible plastic stitched on instead. When I will manage to get the frame for the side windows I shall do the same there :-D

Edited by iannima

• 1 month later...
The idea of fitting glass in canvas was not the brightest... >:( The back window of my new canvas was obviously shattered and I had flexible plastic stitched on instead. When I will manage to get the frame for the side windows I shall do the same there :-D

It works well enough in the wife's BMW 330i cabriolet !!!:-D

• 1 month later...
This is a bit of an oddity in service with the Polish army and presumably prepared for a parade given the white painted tyres.

PolishGaz69A.jpg

I cannot imagine a 4 doors vehicle being ideal for this kind of conversion... It just makes things more cramped... and I can imagine the bodywork and seats getting in the way of the gunner at every beck and call. Perhaps it was only done for the parade.

shall have to fit one of them to mine...

• 4 months later...

Radio ones in service with the east German military:

Armeerundschau1970a.jpg

this photograph was probably taken from inside a P3 Jeep as they had demister ports sticking out like that.

Armeerundschau1970b.jpg

A very early photograph which is very rare in colour and this good. The vehicle appears to be in factory fresh conditions with no East German modifications. Notice the Russian mud tyres, Russian canvas and the sheen of the paint B-)

Armeerundschau1962b.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Looks good, is that a new canvas I see? I think they must use vegetable dye on them, in three years I saw mine go from that colour to light brown... even though it spent a lot of time under cover.

Regards rog8811

RSY491

this vehicle was used in the film MacGyver lost treasures of Atlantis. 1994. Brian Blessed was in passenger seat.

can be viewed on youtube. in the film it has a chain attached to the back to pull some warehouse doors open.

in the original tool kit it would have had a blow lamp to go under the flap in the left hand wheel arch which directed hot air to the engine sump and inlet for starting in winter. I used to own this vehicle about 15 years ago. I got the canvas from a guy in Germany who dealt in GAZ and Jeep parts. I only sold it because parts were very difficult to get at the time,

before my internet days, it was all telephone & fax. regretted selling it.