Etch Primer for Tin Plate

64EK26

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi

Can anyone reccomend a good etch primer for tin plate (For fuel tanks etc), preferably single pack if there is such a thing

Cheers

Richard

IMHO - you have it wrong here , not 'Tin-plate' for fuel tanks , traditionally (as Rolls Royce etc. etc.) the material is "Terne" steel. I doubt you will have ancient Terne with a high tin content (the major part of the coating in any case would be Lead to abt. 80%). The Lead = anti-corrosion. The Tin content I suppose is more for seamingand caulking of lapped folds. Effectively you wish to paint Lead , there is no good primer for , even a etch. Your best bet for 'grip' would be to paint direct on the metal , a light abrade with Scotchbrite rather than a oxidised surface - then spray with a black proper single-pack 'Machinery Enamel' that is oil and fuel resistant. This takes about 1 month to through dry unless it is stoved . Air dry - such as Tractol would be typical.

Successfully used T wash on electro tin plate - depends what is meant by tin plate..as detailed below.

Diana

IMHO - you have it wrong here , not 'Tin-plate' for fuel tanks , traditionally (as Rolls Royce etc. etc.) the material is "Terne" steel. I doubt you will have ancient Terne with a high tin content (the major part of the coating in any case would be Lead to abt. 80%). The Lead = anti-corrosion. The Tin content I suppose is more for seamingand caulking of lapped folds. Effectively you wish to paint Lead , there is no good primer for , even a etch. Your best bet for 'grip' would be to paint direct on the metal , a light abrade with Scotchbrite rather than a oxidised surface - then spray with a black proper single-pack 'Machinery Enamel' that is oil and fuel resistant. This takes about 1 month to through dry unless it is stoved . Air dry - such as Tractol would be typical.

Most -tin-plate' you will come across now is 100% tin that is electro-coated - just a few microns, tin is very expensive / ton.

There is a lot of con with paints , such as what is described as acid / difficult / special metal primer etc. in a small but top $ tin is probably just the same as a 'acrylic enamel' but in satin or matt coloured as white or red oxide colour or whatever. Arguably a black acrylic enamal used in a thin coat as a primer / tie-coat followed by a double-header of conventional single pack black enamel would be best on a fuel tank..